FastDL (sv_downloadurl) not working in Half-Life (HL1)?
I noticed today that when reconnecting from a new client to my HL1 servers, that downloads do not appear to be coming-down via FastDL?

I set this up a long time ago and worked (probably literally for years).
I am not sure when it stopped working.
Maybe with the 25 anniversary update?

I checked:
  • Server CVAR: sv_downloadurl is set to the correct URL still.
  • Web-Site: The content is in the same file structure as before, matching the game/mod's sub-folder structure (sounds sub-folder, maps sub-folder, models sub-folder, etc.).
  • Web-Site: I can browse to the URL used in sv_downloadurl and everything is in place - in the expected sub-folders, etc.
Last edited by [WL] Weasel Ⓢ (Probably AFK); 7 Jun @ 5:21pm
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
PS: I have also noticed that this does NOT affect all GoldSrc-engine based dedicated servers.

In addition to HL1, I am hosting servers for CS 1.6.

On the CS 1.6 servers, FastDL seems to be running fine/as expected without any issues.
Last edited by [WL] Weasel Ⓢ (Probably AFK); 7 Jun @ 5:42pm
UPDATE:
Thanks to some assistance from folks on the hlds-linux e-mail distribution list, got this working. It seems that, at some point (maybe the release of the "25th Anniversary" update for Half-Life?) the clients don't seem to do name-resolution (?) for "fast-download" configurations.

This was affecting two games I host servers for:
Changed I made that seem to be working (for anyone else's reference):
  • Changed my back-end Apache2 web-server config to accept connection without FQDN. Configured it to accept bare IP address also.
  • That Apache2 virtual-server used the same content served by the FQDN virtual server.
  • Changed sv_downloadurl to use the IP address and path (example: "http://w.x.y.z/folder/gameormodhere").
  • Connected from a new machine that did not already connect to the server (actually, completely new HL1 install).
  • Everything seems to be working again!
  • Downloads are actually FAST again.
I know I lived through the pre-FastDL era but, my God!, that was PAINFUL before! I forgot how much it used to hurt!
Last edited by [WL] Weasel Ⓢ (Probably AFK); 8 Jun @ 8:16pm
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50