Steam has been lazy lately
Earlier, we used to get games, or some kinda activity around sales, but now-a-days, steam sales are limited to mere anime art wallpapers and a few free animated items. Where are those mini games? levelling up profiles by playing those games and so on?

For eg: Summer Saliens - https://gtm.you1.cn/saliengame/
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Meh, I doubt those events drove sales and user engagement really to higher levels.

They were a nice distraction, but a sales event always has been about discounted games for me.
Last edited by Crazy Tiger; 4 Jul @ 11:32pm
People always found a way to abuse events, Saliens is the best example for it.
A few people ruined it for everyone. So now nobody gets anything anymore.
Originally posted by Mr. Alien:
Where are those mini games? levelling up profiles by playing those games and so on?

Users abused them to hell and back and they did not generate the desired engagement towards the sales so Valve stopped making them. :lunar2020thinkingtiger:

Originally posted by Unn4m3d (♥AUT♥):

I think the Grand Prix was worse, iirc. Greater the possible rewards, more it will be abused.
Last edited by Anonymous Helper; 5 Jul @ 12:20am
aiusepsi 6 Jul @ 10:08am 
My guess is that they decided to refocus what they were spending their time on. Making unique events for each sale is fun, but all the work done on the features for the event is something which gets basically thrown away at the end of the event.

Whereas if they spend the developer time on new features for the client (e.g. the new Game Recording features, new Family sharing, etc.) or backend tools for developers (e.g. the ability to create custom sales pages, like this) that stuff is around permanently. Given that all of Steam's UI is now all based on web tech across the board, every single piece of UI is being done by exactly the same devs so they're all in competition for dev time.
I really liked the Sticker Book event, but then people used it to create swastikas and rule34 pictures. Can't have nice things.

In the end Steam is a platform for selling games and does that best if people use their time to check out games instead of playing an event game.

Also Steam got bigger and bigger. I can't even imagine what these old events would look like today with Steam having broken user records again this year and every year before that.
That's capitalism for you. If something doesn't demonstrably lead to increased profits, it will eventually be removed.

how was Saliens ruined...
Originally posted by ragefifty50:

Auto clickers.

:cool_seagull:
Originally posted by cSg|mc-Hotsauce:
Originally posted by ragefifty50:

Auto clickers.

:cool_seagull:

Everyone knows that they don't exist.
Originally posted by Mr. Alien:
Earlier, we used to get games, or some kinda activity around sales, but now-a-days, steam sales are limited to mere anime art wallpapers and a few free animated items. Where are those mini games? levelling up profiles by playing those games and so on?

For eg: Summer Saliens - https://gtm.you1.cn/saliengame/
People hated those, me included.. i'm here to buy games not play minigames.
I dont get why you complain
Aachen 7 Jul @ 10:08am 
Originally posted by deborahsimpson:
I dont get why you complain

:expedition: They enjoyed silly, short-term games for the community (possibly expecting some sort of swag for participating??
Lately? More like Valve has been lazy for ten years.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 4 Jul @ 11:26pm