All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Iggy Wolf 10 Jul @ 8:56am
Why is everything a "woke" conspiracy theory these days?
It seems like everything and anything under the Sun gets labeled as "woke" or "DEI". I seriously doubt that there's as much of a push to make anything "woke" as people claim or think there is. Companies are in the business of making money, plain and simple.

To that extent, they tend to expand their customer base as wide as possible. Any claims that they're purposefully "targeting" or emphasizing one group more than another is superfluous, and ignores the more OBVIOUS and reasonable explanation that they're simply casting a wider net and want as many people to buy their product.

Now, if we're talking about specifically and purposefully changing characters or stories in visual or printed media, then I would argue that it's probably not as widespread of a problem as people think. Marvel's MCU might have certainly given that impression.

Hell, Ubisoft's recent fiasco with AC Shadows is pretty controversial. But let's be honest, "wokeness" has been leveled at almost every and any new game coming out, whether it's actually even guilty of being "woke", simply because there's a bunch of people who are paranoid about "woke" in general and start looking for it where it doesn't exist. Let's get something straight.

1: Diversity in itself isn't bad.
2: Token minorities can be insulting, but only because they are underdeveloped and treated as caricatures rather than real people.
3: If a story is bad, then what the characters aren't isn't going to make much of a difference.
And 4: How a character looks (whether they're considered "ugly" or "attractive" is debatable) is usually less related to "woke" and more of a designer/developer choice, and sometimes that choice can plain simply suck.

Which is all irrelevant to whether a game or movie will even be good. If I'm honest, sometimes it comes off more as a bunch of racists/bigots complaining that the world has changed and the new people represented in media and in general are not people these individuals "like". So their own biases and prejudices are coloring their opinion.

Not to say it's always a xenophobic or bigoted reason, but plenty of those people have jumped on the "hate wokeness" bandwagon. Back in the day, if you simply wanted to go ahead and say that a company or person was overemphasizing race, nationality, gender, religion, or creed, you'd simply say they were being "politically correct". It's a less loaded term, and tends to actually criticize actual instances of PC attitudes that were done for brown points rather than actual character development. Sorry for the long rant. Thoughts?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 136 comments
Because we've just got out of bed.
I call it politically correct and despise the word woke, it's over used in today's vocabulary
Jester awarded within 5 minutes, lol

(Wasn't me.)
sage2001 10 Jul @ 9:08am 
people love scapegoats
Arkhyel 10 Jul @ 9:15am 
Woke is the new black.
cuz it is lol, pushed by the government, with blackrock, blackstone, etc. The us government may even try to sanction countries if they aren't progressive, such as Afghanistan since it doesn't support equal rights.

And there are right conspiracies, we've been hearing about it for months, its called project 2025.

Maybe you could call Trump being a "man of the people, the guy standing up for the little guy, the I'm the guy in the way of the left getting to you" a right conspiracy too.
Last edited by ⛧⸸Black⸸⛧; 10 Jul @ 9:21am
Swarmfly 10 Jul @ 9:20am 
Rightists call everything they don't like woke.
Leftists call everything they don't like fascist.

Centrists call everything they don't like cringe.
Another right conspiracy is Trump is pulling us out of nato and cutting off all funding.

Another is "Trump is a putin puppet"

Another is "Trump did stuff with epstein"

Another is "Trump won due to russian interference"

Another is "Trump will make himself a life long dictator if he wins".

My favorite is Greene thinking hawaii's fires were because gold space lasers
Last edited by ⛧⸸Black⸸⛧; 10 Jul @ 9:26am
Arkhyel 10 Jul @ 9:26am 
Originally posted by :
Another right conspiracy is Trump is pulling us out of nato and cutting off all funding.

Another is "Trump is a putin puppet"

Another is "Trump did stuff with epstein"

Another is "Trump won due to russian interference"

Another is "Trump will make himself a life long dictator if he wins".
Mr. Trump might be a puppet, but I am the Master of All Puppets.
You don't even need to know anything about what's going on behind the scenes. It is obvious. If it is not, to you, I don't know what to tell you.

Your post is full of woke lingo by the way, which I guess would be the explanation for that. You are woke yourself, so it is invisible or "normal" to you.
Last edited by Jimmy Rustle; 10 Jul @ 9:32am
Originally posted by Clown Syndrome:
You don't even need to know anything about what's going on behind the scenes. It is obvious. If it is not, to you, I don't know what to tell you.

Your post is full of woke lingo by the way, which I guess would be the answer. You are woke yourself, so it is invisible or "normal" to you.

And how do you determine THAT? I mean, what is "woke lingo"? There in lies the problem. Most of the time, it's whatever the ♥♥♥♥ people want it to be. You couldn't find a way to disagree with my position, so you simply accused me of being that thing. Which proves my point. "Wokeness" isn't about something being PC, it's about "people or things I don't like or disagree with".
Originally posted by Iggy Wolf:
- snip -

Youtube and social media are thriving on generating outrage. It's best not to listen to those complaining about "woke". They see it anywhere and everywhere, just like Grandpa Simpson sees death everywhere. They're going around, pointing and whining "Woke!"
Originally posted by Iggy Wolf:
Originally posted by Clown Syndrome:

Your post is full of woke lingo by the way, which I guess would be the answer. You are woke yourself, so it is invisible or "normal" to you.

And how do you determine THAT? I mean, what is "woke lingo"? There in lies the problem. Most of the time, it's whatever the ♥♥♥♥ people want it to be. You couldn't find a way to disagree with my position, so you simply accused me of being that thing. Which proves my point. "Wokeness" isn't about something being PC, it's about "people or things I don't like or disagree with".

That's a lot of assumptions, I see you are already on the defense. I thought you were the one asking why people aren't having rational discussions on here? So maybe make a bit of an effort yourself to do the same.

Here are my reasons:

If I'm honest, sometimes it comes off more as a bunch of racists/bigots complaining that the world has changed

Typical woke standpoint. "Any unspecified progression is fantastic and everyone else is just crying because things have changed"

Not to say it's always a xenophobic or bigoted reason

Nobody says "xenophobic" except people who have been indoctrinated by woke "thinking". Same as "bigot" and even "racist" nowadays.

Most of the time, it's whatever the ♥♥♥♥ people want it to be

No it isn't. It is very clear what it is, and is not. Only the woke say this, and they do it as a dismissal attempt because they feel threatened by it.
TERRONE 10 Jul @ 9:42am 
I like conspiracy theories
Stingray_tm 10 Jul @ 9:51am 
People are addicted to being offended. It gets them riled up. So everything has to be declared "woke" in order for them to be able to keep up their agitated state of mind.

Calling something "woke" completely bypasses any rational thinking and gets them instantly to the emotional state they are graving: Feeling opressed (without any actual reason, of course) but being united with other people who also feel opressed.

It's an eternal, artificial, self-induced victim complex.

Because hating something, feeling justified in hating it and being uinited with other hateful people is a very, very, very powerful feeling.
Last edited by Stingray_tm; 10 Jul @ 9:55am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 136 comments
Per page: 1530 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: 10 Jul @ 8:56am