This topic has been locked
Why does Steam restricts gifting?
I wasn't able to gift my own second account a game with my Steam Wallet money. Is there a logical reason behind this? Is it to protect my account... from myself? Anyways, as usual, Steam's policy isn't really based in any sort of consistent logic so I wouldn't be surprised if this was an "anti scamming" policy.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
rawWwRrr 30 Nov, 2023 @ 5:58pm 
Wallet Fund gifting has been restricted for some users. You'd have to open a ticket with Support to verify if they done the same to your account. You should still be able to use non-wallet funds.
Last edited by rawWwRrr; 30 Nov, 2023 @ 6:04pm
FFL2and3rocks 30 Nov, 2023 @ 6:02pm 
If you're suspected of using your Steam account for commercial purposes, you may be blocked from using wallet funds for gifts.
Originally posted by FFL2and3rocks:
If you're suspected of using your Steam account for commercial purposes, you may be blocked from using wallet funds for gifts.
Why? Why specifically the wallet funds?
Originally posted by rawWwRrr:
Wallet Fund gifting has been restricted for some users. You'd have to open a ticket with Support to verify if they done the same to your account. You should still be able to use non-wallet funds.
Already did, they just said I'm restricted and offered no explanation whatsoever.
Originally posted by jacinto pinto akino rego:

I assume it's because wallet funds can come from a number of sources which are more likely to be used with commercial purposes to try to hide the fact, such as from selling market items, redeeming wallet cards, and digital gift cards from Steam friends. When you purchase a gift directly with your own CC it's a different story.
Originally posted by peppermint hollows:

I assume it's because wallet funds can come from a number of sources which are more likely to be used with commercial purposes to try to hide the fact, such as from selling market items, redeeming wallet cards, and digital gift cards from Steam friends. When you purchase a gift directly with your own CC it's a different story.
It's not like Steam can't know where mine came from (item selling). It's so illogical it's laughable. I've had that item for 4 years now and its sale was the only time I ever "added" funds to steam.
rawWwRrr 30 Nov, 2023 @ 8:11pm 
Already did, they just said I'm restricted and offered no explanation whatsoever.
I'm sure they gave at least a high level explanation.

Originally posted by peppermint hollows:

It's not like Steam can't know where mine came from (item selling). It's so illogical it's laughable. I've had that item for 4 years now and its sale was the only time I ever "added" funds to steam.
So, I've come across multiple users facing this new gifting restriction where you are selling an inventory from one account with the intention of using that money to buy a game for a second account. Why not trade the item to the account that needs the funds?

So, I've come across multiple users facing this new gifting restriction where you are selling an inventory from one account with the intention of using that money to buy a game for a second account. Why not trade the item to the account that needs the funds?
The item in question is from CS2, which I got a VAC ban in the game in the other account back in 2017.
ReBoot 30 Nov, 2023 @ 9:13pm 

The item in question is from CS2, which I got a VAC ban in the game in the other account back in 2017.
Well, bans suck on multiple levels, I suppose.
Ettanin 30 Nov, 2023 @ 10:04pm 
There were too many people trying to profit from market revenue by undercutting Valve through offering real money trading ("You give real $$$ I buy game X with wallet $$$ for you").
Originally posted by Ettanin:
There were too many people trying to profit from market revenue by undercutting Valve through offering real money trading ("You give real $$$ I buy game X with wallet $$$ for you").
Sounds like a scam
Wren 15 Jul @ 7:27pm 
The Steam discussions aren't the appropriate place to dispute specific bans, please read the following FAQ
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 30 Nov, 2023 @ 5:37pm