BaLuX 25 Nov, 2022 @ 9:21am
Use default browser app when opening external links
Good evening. It looks like Steam Mobile on Android forcibly uses chrome to open external links. Is there a way to make it open links via my default browser app?

I tried disabling chrome but I couldn't open external links at all.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 58 comments
cSg|mc-Hotsauce 25 Nov, 2022 @ 4:41pm 
1. Go to your list of installed apps in your phones settings menu. The one that says something like Default apps, Permission Manager.

2. Find the "Steam" app and select it.

3. Scroll down to "Set as Default" and select that.

4. Find "Go to supported URLs" and it should say "in this app" currently. Select it.

5. The menu should open up to let you change it to...

Always Ask

In Other App

Choose whichever one suits you.

:qr:
BaLuX 25 Nov, 2022 @ 8:07pm 
Originally posted by cSg|mc-Hotsauce:
1. Go to your list of installed apps in your phones settings menu. The one that says something like Default apps, Permission Manager.

4. Find "Go to supported URLs" and it should say "in this app" currently. Select it.

Always Ask

In Other App

Thanks for the reply, but I think your instructions are for making steam links open in another app.

What I want is, when using steam mobile, and click on an external link, that url to open on my default browser.

I.e. clicking http://www.google.com opens forcibly via chrome. it looks like I can't change this. And if I remove chrome from my phone, it doesn't open at all.
cSg|mc-Hotsauce 25 Nov, 2022 @ 8:21pm 
Go to your settings in your preferred browser and set it as the default browser.

Another way is to do the first step above.

Find your preferred browser in the list of apps and select it.

Under "App Settings" find "Browser App" and select it.

On the next page, choose your preferred browser.

Last edited by cSg|mc-Hotsauce; 25 Nov, 2022 @ 8:26pm
BaLuX 25 Nov, 2022 @ 8:40pm 
Go to your settings in your preferred browser and set it as the default browser.

Another way is to do the first step above.

Find your preferred browser in the list of apps and select it.

Under "App Settings" find "Browser App" and select it.

On the next page, choose your preferred browser.

It is already set up as the default browser.

The odd thing is if I clear it as the default browser from the system, the system default browser is used (Mi browser). If I select it, chrome is used instead.....

I'm using MIUI 13 which is Android 12 based. By the way the browser is Firefox.
cSg|mc-Hotsauce 25 Nov, 2022 @ 8:59pm 
Let's see if thee users in the Hardware & OS forum have any ideas...

https://gtm.you1.cn/discussions/forum/11/

Let them know your phone model, Android version, browser and perhaps, even tell them about what was posted here already (or just link this thread).

BaLuX 25 Nov, 2022 @ 11:04pm 
Let's see if thee users in the Hardware & OS forum have any ideas...

https://gtm.you1.cn/discussions/forum/11/

Let them know your phone model, Android version, browser and perhaps, even tell them about what was posted here already (or just link this thread).

Good suggestion.

If I have no default browser selected, Mi browser is used.
If I have Firefox selected as a default browser, Chrome is used.
If I have Firefox selected as a default browser, and Chrome is frozen, I am getting returned to the app.

It looks like the app uses its own logic on what browser to use. Since when I have no default browser selected, the android system browser selector should show up, but it doesn't.

I am pretty sure that the problem is caused by the app itself.
zaphodikus 4 Dec, 2022 @ 8:52pm 
Under android settings, go to he system app defaults menu. Depending on maker this might be under settings/apps/defaults or similar
Browser defaults is right up top there when you do get to the right page though on all the vendors I have a phone for.
nixd 8 Dec, 2022 @ 11:24am 
I'm irritated with the same issue. Steam app insists on opening the links on Chrome although it's never been the default browser.

I can of course visit my link and be done with it but it's really annoying. What in the world Steam?

I'm on Android 12.

Also; to the people on this thread. Thanks for trying to help but please try to read what the question/issue is before giving unrelated instructions. Thank you.

Always Ask

In Other App

Kurtz (OP) 8 Feb, 2023 @ 9:39pm 
I'm having a similar problem on a Xiaomi Redmi 9A. I just installed the Steam Mobile App and when using Chrome browser app and trying to open any Steam related link, the Steam Mobile app opens automatically even if you forced the app to close. This device uses MIUI 12 and Android 10. I'm losing my mind here but I just can't find an option to disable this. The Steam mobile app also doesn't let me sign out because I have an authenticator enabled, I find this really dumb. When the app was released years ago It was easy to use and to sign out and you could always see the Steam log codes below the username and password tabs.
Last edited by Kurtz (OP); 8 Feb, 2023 @ 10:11pm
Cyba 10 Feb, 2023 @ 2:19pm 
Same problem here. I disabled chrome long time ago and now there's no way I can browse any external links
Alucard † 11 Feb, 2023 @ 12:22pm 
Same.
Nothing works to solve this anymore.

Recently all Steam related links oppen in this ♥♥♥♥♥♥ app instead in the browser.

No matter what.
BaLuX 11 Feb, 2023 @ 1:46pm 
It's been over two months since I've made this topic and the issue hasn't been resolved. How can I properly report this bug so that it reaches the app's dev team?
Zoldar 29 Mar, 2023 @ 6:01pm 
Same here, my default android browser is firefox and the steam app insists on opening links on chrome. Annoying AF
BaLuX 12 Apr, 2023 @ 12:49pm 
Originally posted by Zoldar:
Same here, my default android browser is firefox and the steam app insists on opening links on chrome. Annoying AF
And until now, nothing has changed. So is there a way to report this issue to the Steam Mobile devs?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 58 comments
Per page: 1530 50