This topic has been locked
Chdonga 30 Jan, 2017 @ 4:48am
Randomly received a Steam Guard code.
I just woke up this morning to see a new Steam Guard code in my notifications. Should I be concerned?
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Milk 30 Jan, 2017 @ 11:32am 
Yeah. Check the timestamp.
Chdonga 30 Jan, 2017 @ 12:33pm 
How would I find that? I did a quick Google search and they said there's no way to check login attempts
Milk 30 Jan, 2017 @ 2:35pm 
Originally posted by Chdonga:
How would I find that? I did a quick Google search and they said there's no way to check login attempts
It didn't say on the notification?

Basically, if you got a notification, it means someone successfully logged in with your password, but was stopped by the authenticator.

You may want to change the passwords of your steam account and/or emails.
Chdonga 1 Feb, 2017 @ 3:21pm 
Yikes. It just happened to me a second time.

I carry my laptop on me and I leave Steam on in the background. When I walked into a coffee shop Steam sent me the verification code. Could it be my laptop trying to log into Steam through unverified networks?
Last edited by Chdonga; 1 Feb, 2017 @ 3:30pm
logicbuster 1 Feb, 2017 @ 3:54pm 
Yikes. It just happened to me a second time.

I carry my laptop on me and I leave Steam on in the background. When I walked into a coffee shop Steam sent me the verification code. Could it be my laptop trying to log into Steam through unverified networks?
no
Chdonga 1 Feb, 2017 @ 4:05pm 
In any case I've changed my password again and I'm running malware scans on all my PCs. Hopefully I don't have a keylogger.

Edit: I did a scan and there are no threats found. I've logged into tons of non-Steam accounts with no issues either. I never use browser Steam so there's no way I could've gotten phished. It must've been a brute force app that found out my password.
Last edited by Chdonga; 1 Feb, 2017 @ 4:14pm
Chdonga 26 Mar, 2023 @ 1:38pm 
Originally posted by XIExplicit:
In any case I've changed my password again and I'm running malware scans on all my PCs. Hopefully I don't have a keylogger.

Edit: I did a scan and there are no threats found. I've logged into tons of non-Steam accounts with no issues either. I never use browser Steam so there's no way I could've gotten phished. It must've been a brute force app that found out my password.

Having the same issue did changing your password solve the issue?

Geez. Talk about a necrobump lmfao.
But yep, changing my password way back then stopped the issue. My most reasonable guess was that someone managed to brute force guess my password but got held up by the Steam Guard. Just make a more secure password and thank Gabe for 2FA.
Last edited by Chdonga; 26 Mar, 2023 @ 1:40pm
cSg|mc-Hotsauce 26 Mar, 2023 @ 2:04pm 
My most reasonable guess was that someone managed to brute force guess my password...

Brute forcing isn't feasible considering after X tries, the person is locked out and on a cooldown for too many tries. It would take more than your life expectancy to even brute into some of the easiest passwords.

:qr:
Chdonga 2 Apr, 2023 @ 10:58am 
Originally posted by cSg|mc-Hotsauce:
My most reasonable guess was that someone managed to brute force guess my password...

Brute forcing isn't feasible considering after X tries, the person is locked out and on a cooldown for too many tries. It would take more than your life expectancy to even brute into some of the easiest passwords.

Maybe they got it from a data breach. Not sure if '17 was a big year for breaches but I know that I had a bad habit of using the same password on most accounts around the time that this happened.
cSg|mc-Hotsauce 2 Apr, 2023 @ 11:38am 
Originally posted by cSg|mc-Hotsauce:

Maybe they got it from a data breach. Not sure if '17 was a big year for breaches but I know that I had a bad habit of using the same password on most accounts around the time that this happened.

Nope.

:qr:
Is the trick how to scan the guard code, instead of type it.
Katie 22 Aug @ 7:57am 
This thread was quite old before the recent post, so we're locking it to prevent confusion.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50