Okami_Kay 6 Feb, 2023 @ 6:05am
Controllers and Steam for Mac
Any Suggestions? I have tried 3 controllers and none of them work for my Steam Games. My wired controller worked in Obduction on the Epic Store. And native games work fine, but Steam... nope.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
cocanard 6 Feb, 2023 @ 7:49am 
Most games take advantage of Steam Input and says they support controller, however on some mac (mostly apple silicon if I remember) steam input doesn't work properly so controller does nothing on those games (at least in my case).
Some games support controllers "natively", but that's a minority.
You can still try to use steam input by letting steam access to accessibility, going into big picture -> settings -> controller settings and by selecting some of the settings depending on your controller
Last edited by cocanard; 6 Feb, 2023 @ 7:50am
ok:steamhappy:
Lugee 7 Feb, 2023 @ 3:04am 
I use my PS4 / DualShock Controller in several games of Steam
by using it WITH USB-Cable, so NOT wireless. Works pretty good.

MacBook Pro with M1, macOS Ventura
Last edited by Lugee; 7 Feb, 2023 @ 3:04am
Okami_Kay 16 Feb, 2023 @ 2:18pm 
Thank you, All!
Pixelcade 19 Feb, 2023 @ 10:19pm 
Same here on M2 MBP I use my MS controller plugged in USB-C works great on all of my games I think even better if I launch from Big Picture mode. I couldn't get anything working on my M1 iMac that I sold to help pay for the MBP M2.
Misiu Marek 24 Feb, 2023 @ 8:47am 
anzbert 9 Sep, 2023 @ 8:04am 
Originally posted by cocanard:
Most games take advantage of Steam Input and says they support controller, however on some mac (mostly apple silicon if I remember) steam input doesn't work properly so controller does nothing on those games (at least in my case).
Some games support controllers "natively", but that's a minority.
You can still try to use steam input by letting steam access to accessibility, going into big picture -> settings -> controller settings and by selecting some of the settings depending on your controller

thx so much. that solved so many of my controller issues, just to allow steam access to 'accessibility' in the system settings!!
efetrn 3 Dec, 2023 @ 1:36am 
Solved.
If you are experiencing issues with the Hades registering input at times or are unable to rebind keys or buttons:
Use these launch options: /UseNativeGaInput=true /UseNativeGaInputNoControllers=false
emberfrost8 4 Dec, 2023 @ 6:53am 
Ensure that the games you are trying to play actually support the controllers you're using. As I can see, many users ignore this part. Besides, some games may have limited or no controller support.
Pixelcade 8 Dec, 2023 @ 10:57am 
Hello. I'm not to sure how to do this fix "allow steam access to accessibility" i see accessibility in system but dont' know how to add steam to it would someone be so kind as to tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advance!!!
emberfrost8 11 Dec, 2023 @ 1:22pm 
Originally posted by Pixelcade:
Hello. I'm not to sure how to do this fix "allow steam access to accessibility" i see accessibility in system but dont' know how to add steam to it would someone be so kind as to tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advance!!!

I think you better start a separate thread for this. But you can try the following steps:
Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen and select ""System Preferences"" from the dropdown menu.
In the System Preferences window, find and click on ""Security & Privacy"". This is where you can adjust settings related to the security of your Mac, including accessibility permissions.
On the left-hand side of the Privacy tab, you'll see a list of features. Scroll through and select ""Accessibility"". This section allows you to manage which applications can control your Mac.
Back in the Security & Privacy window, ensure that the checkbox next to Steam is ticked. This grants Steam the necessary accessibility permissions.
Pixelcade 11 Dec, 2023 @ 10:03pm 
@emberfrost8 thank you for this. I was in the wrong area. I appreciate you taking the time to write up this quick little info for me. I'll give this a try worst case situation is i just keep a wired controller which has better response anyway but wireless is so much nicer.
emberfrost8 12 Dec, 2023 @ 12:35pm 
You are welcome, my friend. Let me know if everything is fine.
Pixelcade 13 Dec, 2023 @ 12:49am 
Will do once I get some time to actually game kinda busy right now with some projects. But I will post my findings here this weekend!
Pixelcade 13 Dec, 2023 @ 9:37am 
@emberfrost8 Well I did have some time to try this today. Works in No Mans Sky (did prior) Doesn't work anymore in Streets of Rage 4 for some reason, No joy in Skul the Hero Slayer, or Little Witch in the woods. I have several others to try but I don't think they are going to work. I tried both big screen and non big screen. :( Even plugged in it doesn't work anymore. I have a M3 max pro coming tomorrow to replace this one I'm sure nothing is going to work on that as well.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Per page: 1530 50