Paralytik 19 Oct, 2012 @ 1:59pm
Source Mod Makers, what are you looking for regarding sound and music?
Hello there guys.
I've been thinking a lot about this, and this might be the best place to start out to find some answers.

What is it that mod makers usually look for when it comes to audio and music content? And what is it you use it for? Trailers? Background music ingame?

There's all this focus on what people should know when it comes to 2D and 3D graphics, animation, coding, scripting and level design, but almost no pointers for musicians and audio geeks like me. In most projects I've been contributing to, I get very little to work on and not much feedback except "Yeah this works great!" or "Nah, this doesn't fit".
I am starting to believe this is a very common problem. It's easy for modellers to post a screenshot of an object in a game world someone else made and see how well it fits, but it's almost impossible for a sound designer or musician to know if things actually will sound good if they don't see their content in-engine, together with the rest of the game world.
I'm also getting tired of people thinking it's so easy to create musical content based on a single theme without any story or visual references. I spend a lot of time on my projects; on research, composing, production, sampling and recording, etc. I can't google up an image of a house and start making a basic model just like that. It's a very different process. A lot of people I've worked with seem to forget about this, and also forget about how they want their project to sound like. Audio is a very important component in game making and should, according to me, play a bigger part than it does in today's modding communities.

So, this discussion could build upon the questions already asked here, and other suggestions as things progress. What are your thoughts? Have you had similar experiences, or examples from projects that has been well organized on the audio side? Make your voices heard and let's learn something new, push the boundaries a bit forward.

And if anyone's interested, here's a link to some stuff I've made. Follow the other links on Youtube to get to other songs (cross-linking FTW!)
http://youtu.be/MscZL3nl2Dg
Last edited by Paralytik; 3 Nov, 2012 @ 4:18pm
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Hello Thorsell.

Maybe you didn't worked for the good project, no ?
Are you able to test out your work directly in game, to improve your sounds/music material ?

If you looking for a team that could give you the feedback you looking for, you can apply a position for the project i working on

http://jurassic-life.game-lab.com/

We are proceeding like that :

1. a new recrute arrives, so ou post on the recrutement forum, we are moving the thead on a more private but limit private access.
2. we give you a work
3. if you successfully provide good material and are active on the project, we give you the access to the wiki/ SVN server.

So if you 'like to work in a mood like you has described it here, join us, we are looking for a second sounder (mainly to erase all the common sounds that come from HL2).

it look like you are too much isolated from the rest of you team mate, this is not really good enough , for a serious team.

RedEyes
you can contact me too thought steam chat, for sure
Bye

Paralytik 1 Nov, 2012 @ 5:27am 
Hey. I'm not actually looking for a team right now, I primarily want to get some input from modders/game creators, what the most common things are when they look for audio content.
Though, it would be interesting to take a look at your project too.
O.O
ChromeAngel 3 Feb, 2013 @ 1:23pm 
I'm mainly looking for sci-fi creature and weapon sound effects, not the kind of things you can just go out and record, but requiring some editing, mixing and effects over a variety of samples.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50