server won't start, Failed to load 32-bit libtinfo.so.5 or libncurses.so.5.
./srcds_run -console -game tf +sv_pure 1 +map ctf_2fort +maxplayers 24 +sv_setsteamaccount *token hidden* Auto detecting CPU Using default binary: ./srcds_linux Server will auto-restart if there is a crash. WARNING: Failed to load 32-bit libtinfo.so.5 or libncurses.so.5. Please install (lib32tinfo5 / ncurses-libs.i686 / equivalent) to enable readline. failed to dlopen /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/bin/engine_srv.so error=/var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/bin/engine_srv.so: undefined symbol: SteamInternal_ContextInit failed to dlopen engine_srv.so error=bin/engine_srv.so: undefined symbol: SteamInternal_ContextInit AppFramework : Unable to load module engine_srv.so! Unable to load interface VCvarQuery001 from engine_srv.so Wed Jan 29 08:10:35 EST 2020: Server Quit

i have verified that libncurses.so.5 is installed.

i am returning to running a linux dedicated server from years ago, before Steam. but i am not as familiar with the "new" way of running a HLDS.

Thanks in advance for any help.

~Travis
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Sepp 29 Jan, 2020 @ 6:58am 
Looks like you're running a 64 bit os and need to install the required 32 bit libs:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#32-bit_libraries_on_64-bit_Linux_systems
[ASD]travis79 29 Jan, 2020 @ 8:47am 
Originally posted by Sepp:
Looks like you're running a 64 bit os and need to install the required 32 bit libs:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#32-bit_libraries_on_64-bit_Linux_systems

ok, fair enough. i just performed the command listed (yum install glibc.i686 libstdc++.i686), and i have the libs already, according to YUM.
Package glibc-2.17-292.el7.i686 already installed and latest version Package libstdc++-4.8.5-39.el7.i686 already installed and latest version

and even though it is a VERY BAD IDEA, i ran the launcher under root, checking to see if it was a permissions issue, and same result. as in the top post.

~Travis
Last edited by [ASD]travis79; 30 Jan, 2020 @ 1:35am
[ASD]travis79 30 Jan, 2020 @ 5:13am 
Still wondering how to get my server to run. Google hasn't been too forthcomming with help. I am going to try removing steam, compleatly, in case i have a bad install. Then i will start over.

~Travis
[ASD]travis79 30 Jan, 2020 @ 12:21pm 
ok, some progress, but still won't run. here is the output:
[steam@tjfhome hlds]$ ./tf2.sh WARNING: No map specified! Server may not heartbeat. Auto detecting CPU Using default binary: ./srcds_linux Enabling debug mode Server will auto-restart if there is a crash. WARNING: Failed to load 32-bit libtinfo.so.5 or libncurses.so.5. Please install (lib32tinfo5 / ncurses-libs.i686 / equivalent) to enable readline. Using Breakpad minidump system. Version: 5615298 AppID: 232250 Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 232250 Using breakpad crash handler Loaded 9890 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_textures.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 9890 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_textures.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 474 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_sound_vo_english.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 474 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_sound_vo_english.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 1335 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_sound_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 1335 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_sound_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 2541 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 2541 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 2541 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/tf/tf2_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 1217 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/hl2/hl2_textures.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 574 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/hl2/hl2_sound_vo_english.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 383 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/hl2/hl2_sound_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 451 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/hl2/hl2_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 451 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/hl2/hl2_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 5 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/platform/platform_misc.vpk for pure server operation. Loaded 5 VPK file hashes from /var/storage/home/steam/Steam/hlds/platform/platform_misc.vpk for pure server operation. server_srv.so loaded for "Team Fortress" Could not load: replay_srv.so Could not load: replay_srv.so Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit ./srcds_run: line 324: 3217 Segmentation fault (core dumped) $HL_CMD cat: hlds.3209.pid: No such file or directory email debug.log to linux@valvesoftware.com Thu Jan 30 15:10:44 EST 2020: Server restart in 10 seconds ^CThu Jan 30 15:10:45 EST 2020: Server Quit

replay_srv.so does exist, so i don't know why it still doesn't find it.

WARNING: Failed to load 32-bit libtinfo.so.5 or libncurses.so.5. Please install (lib32tinfo5 / ncurses-libs.i686 / equivalent) to enable readline.

these are installed, so the question is how to make them visible/usable for steam.

oh, and the contents of the debug.log, with my server token filtered out:
---------------------------------------------- CRASH: Thu Jan 30 15:10:44 EST 2020 Start Line: ./srcds_linux -debug -console -game tf +sv_pure 1 +randommap +maxplayers 24 +sv_setsteamaccount *token removed* End of Source crash report ----------------------------------------------

any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
~Travis
[ASD]travis79 30 Jan, 2020 @ 1:12pm 
Solved!!! don't remember exactly what i did, but it works, and i was able to play on it! now i just have to fine tune things, like the config files. very happy right now!

~Travis
geoff 8 Apr, 2021 @ 10:47am 
Originally posted by travis.farmer:
Solved!!! don't remember exactly what i did, but it works, and i was able to play on it! now i just have to fine tune things, like the config files. very happy right now!

~Travis
Hey, Travis
Could you tell me how did you fix it? I´m having exactly the same problem
Marator 25 Apr, 2021 @ 5:19pm 
geoff 26 Apr, 2021 @ 1:59pm 
Originally posted by Marator:
I already fixed it, but still thank you!
𓄂Mactavish𓆃 22 May, 2021 @ 6:37am 
+
The Pig 1 Sep, 2021 @ 1:08am 
Originally posted by kris:
Originally posted by Marator:
I already fixed it, but still thank you!
How did you fix it?
[ASD]travis79 1 Sep, 2021 @ 2:59pm 
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Linux_dedicated_server something in the troubleshooting at the bottom, maybe? it was quite some time ago, but my server seems to be running happy on a Dell PE 1950 rack server, though i did change from CentOS to Fedora Linux 33.
sorry i can't remember what was the solution, as when i update hardware, i fear i may have to go through it again.

~Travis
The Pig 2 Sep, 2021 @ 12:31am 
I've fixed the issue now. it wasn't actually this that caused my server not to run, it was another issue.
LordByron_ 10 Nov, 2021 @ 5:48pm 
Some packages are not mentioned in the standard developer wiki for gmod. For everyone who still has this issue, try to install the following packages: libtinfo5:i386 libncurses5:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386
FreshDoktor 1 Nov, 2022 @ 7:00am 
Originally posted by LordByron_:
Some packages are not mentioned in the standard developer wiki for gmod. For everyone who still has this issue, try to install the following packages: libtinfo5:i386 libncurses5:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386
Thanks!
n0x! 12 Mar, 2023 @ 5:04am 
i was able to fix this using

On 64-bit Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint run:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install lib32z1 libncurses5:i386 libbz2-1.0:i386 lib32gcc-s1 lib32stdc++6 libtinfo5:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386

these commands
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 1530 50