850 PSU enough for a 1660ti and a 1070ti on the same computer ?
Hello people !

I am having doubts about my PSU being enough, even after checking online with a few website about it.

I currently have a 1660ti gaming x (6gb) and i just found a msi 1070ti armor (8gb).
I know it won't be much use for 2 gpu while gaming, but i use GPU for rendering and it could help to have both. (the software i use take them i already checked)

But having a 850 psu which is a bit old, but still working fine makes me doubt the idea.

My specs are :

Intel I9 12900K
MSI PRO Z690-A
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (2x16)
Noctua NH-D15 with 2x NF-A15
MSI 1660ti Gaming X 6GB
So eventually this : MSI 1070ti ARMOR 8GB
And like 6 HDD, one SSD.
PSU thermaltake smart sp-850m 80plus

I'd love some feedback before doing anything.
I know it must be wiser to just buy a bigger PSU, but if it could work with this, wonderfull !
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Cabooost 15 Jul @ 1:33pm 
700 - 799 Watts is what the PSU calculator is suggesting, hope this helps
Cabooost 15 Jul @ 1:34pm 
I would just get a 1000w to be safe
_I_ 15 Jul @ 1:43pm 
why both gpus
1070ti is stronger

1660it is slightly newer, but still no rt cores
(they both can do rt, but at greatly reduced performance compared to rtx gpus)

the mobos 2nd x16 slot only has 4 lanes
and its 3rd x16 slot only has 1 lane

and i would not trust the thermaltake smart psu as far as i can throw it
Last edited by _I_; 15 Jul @ 1:50pm
Originally posted by Mithrandir:
700 - 799 Watts is what the PSU calculator is suggesting, hope this helps

From what i see yes ! But i always read that you need some more to have leverage and security, doest this number include it you think ?
Thanks a lot for the answer !
Originally posted by _I_:
why both gpus
1070ti is stronger

1660it is slightly newer, but still no rt cores
(they both can do rt, but at greatly reduced performance compared to rtx gpus)

the mobos 2nd x16 slot only has 4 lanes
and its 3rd x16 slot only has 1 lane

and i would not trust the thermaltake smart psu as far as i can throw it
Mostly for work ! If it was only to play, i'd stay with the 1070ti as you said.

I'm rendering with GPU from time to time, and i know 3dsmax allow you tu use 2 gpu, even not on SLI. SLI will mostly add the VRAM force of both but i don't particularly need that, instead i can make both gpu work on the same image or animation, as two entities from what i've seen.

But i'm not sure i understand the part about the lanes on the x16 slot. I'm not familiar with this.
So basicly you saying the main lane (of my gtx 1660ti) is the one with the more lane (power?)

Thanks for all the advices !
Just use the 1660 ti so you can have support for mesh shaders.

The 1070 ti doesn't support mesh shaders, so, games like starfield and Alan wake 2 will not have the same optimizations that the 1660 ti possesses.

There's no point in using both.
Originally posted by WOKEISM (banned 17 times):

The 1070 ti doesn't support mesh shaders, so, games like starfield and Alan wake 2 will not have the same optimizations that the 1660 ti possesses.

LOL what? Neither one of those GPUs could run either of those games good enough. It's going to be a slideshow

As i mentionned in, the main idea is not to have the two gpu for gaming, but for GPU rendering (work). Mostly trying to see if my PSU could handle it
I'd go 1200W given all the drives also. You can benchmark the SLI and you're likely to gain 50% software wise. All mfgs. abandoned the HW link between GPUs, that gave a better performance boost of up to 75% gain.
_I_ 15 Jul @ 6:38pm 
then i would go with a trusted mfg 1000+w
too much doesnt hurt, and it would also keep it in a more efficient power range

evga, bequiet, corsair, seasonic with 80+ gold or better

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#e=6,5,4&m=337,11,14,71&sort=price&page=1&A=1000000000000,2050000000000
Originally posted by Cz@r Da Emperor:

As i mentionned in, the main idea is not to have the two gpu for gaming, but for GPU rendering (work). Mostly trying to see if my PSU could handle it

Even a 650W Gold or Platinum PSU would be enough for your CPU and BOTH GPUs. As you generally can't use both GPUs at the same time anyways. And if one is just doing video encoding or something like that, it's load would be very low.

Go with something decent from Corsair, Seasonic or BeQuiet.
When it comes to Thermaltake, they make decent Cases and Fans, that's about it; all their PSUs are pure junk.

However, yes 850W (of a decent PSU, not that junk you have now) or better is the way to go, simply because if you change GPUs you'll need the extra power. Not to mention you want a PSU that has 2x 8pin EPS + 4x 8pin PCIE
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; 15 Jul @ 8:25pm
Tonepoet 15 Jul @ 8:39pm 
This is a peculiar purchasing decision. If you're going to use two G.P.Us. on the same system, wouldn't it be better to buy a second 1660 ti been better so you could sli them together? It'd use a bit less power too. I mean if it's an exceptionally good deal then take it by all means, but I just thought I'd bring this up just in case you forgot about it.

Anyway, M.S.I's. spec for your 1070 ti is 180 watts[www.msi.com], and 130 watts for your 1660 ti[www.msi.com]. The combined T.D.P. is 310 watts.

That puts you in the same anticipated power consumption ballpark as a single RTX 4080[www.techpowerup.com], which is a 320 watt card. The RTX 4080 was released after LGA 1700, so the power guidance for it should be up do date with modern processors, and it should be roughly interchangeable since it's the same wattage.

Rather than arguing over the exact math of the matter, we can consult the
Asus Power Supply table[dlcdnets.asus.com], which shows their recommendations based off of both the G.P.U. class and C.P.U. class of the system. Since it's all wattage based, the recommended P.S.U. sizing should be brand agnostic.

A 4080 with an i9 should work fine with a 850 watt supply according to Asus, Now the thermaltake smart series isn't particularly well regarded. Its possibly served you well, but it also sounds like you haven't pushed it to its limits yet and doing so may be a bit risky, esp. with an i9 in the socket, you are really buying because most of them are rebranded from O.E.M. models, so that might actually be better than their lower end models. I'm not sure.

I don't know if your power supply has enough auxiliary P.C.I.E. hookups for both cards, and I don't care to check. That's on you to figure out.

Anyway, since you're thinking of buying a new P.S.U. anyway though, I might take this opportunity to upgrade to a Super Flower Leadex III 850 watt gold rated supply[www.newegg.com] though. Superflower is well regarded, and they're one of the brands that does the O.E.M. work for others, so when you buy a Super Flower, you know you're getting actually getting a Super Flower branded supply, rather than a disguised Chinese firecracker. You get a nifty 12 centimeter Megacool case fan as a bonus gift from Newegg too.

It's also 80+ gold rated so you'll save money on electrical consumption in the long run. Later down the line, if you decide you want to use a 12vhpwr P.S.U., you can also buy this cable for it.[www.newegg.com], if for any reason you don't like Nvidia's adapters.

It also wouldn't be as aged, and you'd be getting a new warranty..
Last edited by Tonepoet; 15 Jul @ 8:40pm
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 15 Jul @ 1:20pm