New build: what temps should be normal for 7800X3D + 7900XT
I’d consider this my first real build, as originally I only swapped parts out of a prebuilt including the mobo, so setting up a case is entirely new to me.

What’s weird is my 7900 XT has no branding on it - not XFX, MSI, EVGA, etc. it just says AMD Radeon 7900XT on the box. It’s legit, got it from a local PC store, I’m just used to always having a third party branding.

Anyway, I’m very cautious with my setup considering the money and time spent. At idle, I noticed the 7800X3D was floating around 40-55C - usually 54-55 C when installing something or on YouTube.

The limited time I had to test gaming, I played Hell Let Loose. My CPU only reached 64C during a match which isn’t bad, however the GPU temp was 73C.

I’ll do more extended testing when I get time, but do these temps sound okay? If you think undervolting the GPU will just be a net gain then that’s good.

My case is the Lian Li Lancool 216 which comes with 3 front fans and 1 exhaust. The mobo is ATX ASUS TUF B650E WiFi

PSU is RM1000X

I put a glob of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU (hopefully adequate amount) before mounting the thermalright peerless assassin dual fans.

Let me know, thanks.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Omega 8 Jul @ 9:10am 
Both are fine up until 85-90c, at which point they will start to throttle to reduce temperature at the cost of performance.

The ideal paste application on these CPUs is X or X with dots. Reason being that it does not have a single big chip in the middle, it instead has multiple chips in different locations.
Last edited by Omega; 8 Jul @ 9:12am
Hoppled 8 Jul @ 10:10am 
Originally posted by Omega:
Both are fine up until 85-90c, at which point they will start to throttle to reduce temperature at the cost of performance.

The ideal paste application on these CPUs is X or X with dots. Reason being that it does not have a single big chip in the middle, it instead has multiple chips in different locations.

Oh I just put a pea shape in the middle. Should I reapply the paste or just leave it alone for now?
Omega 8 Jul @ 10:12am 
Originally posted by Hoppled:

Oh I just put a pea shape in the middle. Should I reapply the paste or just leave it alone for now?
Neither the I/O non CPU die are running hot you can leave it as such.
Hoppled 8 Jul @ 10:57am 

Neither the I/O non CPU die are running hot you can leave it as such.

Thank you
Feiqizi 8 Jul @ 10:58am 

you are better off applying the paste manually instead of just doing some amateur X or some shapes, there's probably tutorials on that
Last edited by Feiqizi; 8 Jul @ 10:59am
well 7800x3D should operate idle at around 40C.
at a regulair stresstest at 70C.and at peak load at 80C
it can handle fine temps ipto 89C so as long you dont hot 90C it's fine.

7900XT at idle operates at the same 40C idle about 65C under load (with memory and local hotspots going upto 85C)
It can handle upto 110C though generally you not want to exceed 100C due the hotspot ussue.

these temps are for aircoolong & AIO (which perform about the same if you gave a good one)
a full custom watercooling loop usually gets 10C lower.

your temps are thus totally fine.
Last edited by Dutchgamer1982; 8 Jul @ 11:56am
Hoppled 8 Jul @ 12:13pm 
Originally posted by Feiqizi:

you are better off applying the paste manually instead of just doing some amateur X or some shapes, there's probably tutorials on that

Do you mean applying a thin layer all over the surface of the cpu heat sink? I mean that’s practical and what I at first thought to do when first installing a CPU but everyone says to just either do the dot and or X method.

Either way, the CPU and cooler are already in so I think it’s okay (for now). I’ll keep an eye on it.
Those look like pretty good temps to me
Originally posted by Feiqizi:

Do you mean applying a thin layer all over the surface of the cpu heat sink? I mean that’s practical and what I at first thought to do when first installing a CPU but everyone says to just either do the dot and or X method.

Either way, the CPU and cooler are already in so I think it’s okay (for now). I’ll keep an eye on it.
Dot or x is recommended because they reduce the chance of air pockets.
Thermal paste doesnt actually do that much. Installing a cpu without thermal paste leads to maybe 2-5 Celsius higher temps.
Your system seems perfect.
_I_ 8 Jul @ 2:04pm 
as long as its not throttling its fine

the board may vrm throttle if its design is too weak or no heatsinks on the mosfets
or the cpu can throttle if its too hot and needs a better cooler or paste job
You want lower CPU temps ? Get water cooling.
I rarely hit 65C (avg. 50-55C) and I stress it with many games, 10+ years newer than my CPU. I had this Corsair H100i (240mm) for 6 years now, no problems and consistent cooling.
Idle temps ? 27-35C.
Last edited by Iron Knights; 8 Jul @ 4:16pm
C1REX 8 Jul @ 4:47pm 
I have a similar build.
If you run a Cinebench all core test for like 10min then your CPU should be at about 70-75C. Lower than that while gaming.

If you push your GPU to 100% utilisation then your GPU temp should be around 70C.
Hot spot can be higher. Junction temp even higher. Vram temp can also hit above 80C.

Keep an eye on junction temperature on your GPU as this one can get too high when normal GPU still looks fine.
Last edited by C1REX; 8 Jul @ 4:48pm
Mine is a day 1 7900xt from AMD directly. I need to repaste using the Honeywell pad but I get anywhere from 90-95 C degrees hotspot. Getting warmer but still a bit away from the 110 degree limit. Yours seems fine.
C1REX 9 Jul @ 5:04am 
Originally posted by CaptObvious75:
Mine is a day 1 7900xt from AMD directly. I need to repaste using the Honeywell pad but I get anywhere from 90-95 C degrees hotspot. Getting warmer but still a bit away from the 110 degree limit. Yours seems fine.
I suggest to keep checking junction and vram temps. Both can be higher than the hotspot.
Rod 9 Jul @ 5:41am 
Seems fine its a budget air cooler running the fastest gaming cpu. Maybe i would run cyberpunk and 3d mark and see the temps after some loops.

Cyberpunk is a decent all core test, Forget the cinebench you are gaming and should focus on the gaming temps. And if im not mistaken that cpu should boost to 5040mhz. I would be happy, reapply your paste in two years and do the X.

As for gpu temps, Thats totally the gpu and not a reflection of the case. It could be a thermal paste/brand/cooler issue. I would not worry about it in two years you will want a newer cooler gpu.
Last edited by Rod; 9 Jul @ 5:46am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 8 Jul @ 9:07am