Is there a way to stop one of my gpu fans from spinning?
Weird question I know, I got an old gtx 1060 and one of the fans bearings has worn out or broke so now when it spins it squeals and sputters and I'm worried it's going to cause more damage. I don't have the money to replace it or get it fixed so I'm just using it until I can't use it anymore. But I'm wondering if I can do something to get the fan to just stop trying to spin so it doesn't cause further damage?
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
You could deshroud the GPU and strap a couple of 120mm case fans to it. It's ugly, but it will work well.

I don't recommend disabling one of the fans. It has the amount of fans it has for a reason, and stopping one from spinning will likely result in your card having insufficient cooling.
A&A 7 Jul @ 8:35am 
Create a custom fan curve that will not allow the fans to work in idle, considering that in this situation the temperatures will be low and reducing the GPU voltage will maintain the temperature even lower. Also, if you have an (i)GPU, just offload some of the work there.
Last edited by A&A; 8 Jul @ 4:21pm
They sell brand new OEM replacement fans on Amazon for under $20 - I got a full three pack of fans plus logic board there a few months ago.

Good thing about Pascal GTX is that they do not put the wires under the GPU board so there would be no need to repaste the GPU chip as with some RTX models; plus there are no thermal pads where you would need to replace the fan on a GTX model. :csd2smile:

Or do what poster #1 said, it does work. It is almost the same way as using a liquid AIO mod on a GPU.

Trust me you want all fans spinning or this will create horrible thermal pockets but guess what you live in the USA that sells GPU fans for cheap on Amazon. :csdsmile::magic_wand::stars:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Graphics+Card+Fans+GTX+1060&rh=n%3A3015421011
Last edited by WinterSolstice; 7 Jul @ 2:09pm
_I_ 7 Jul @ 11:28am 
no
on gpus all its fans are tied together
sharing the same power and pwm signal, and only one fans reports rpm
Last edited by _I_; 7 Jul @ 11:29am
Cut and Splice one GPU fan with the wires and wire it to a FAN Connector male then assign it a Open Fan Header on the motherboard then use a External Software like Fan Control to control the Speed for it individually.
Look into finding a replacement fan, allowing the GPU to get too hot from not using the fans can cause more damage than allowing the fans to run with a bad bearing.

Are you sure the fans bearing is bad and dont simply need to be dusted out?
Last edited by [☥] - CJ -; 8 Jul @ 8:55am
Easier, order an OEM fan set that is a direct replacement for your GPU or fits exactly in place, CONNECTORS INCLUDED, do the repair job yourself, wear rubber surgical gloves, re-apply thermal paste on GPU, with this occasion. Your card will last many years to come.
Look for higher CFMs when purchasing fans.
Last edited by Iron Knights; 8 Jul @ 4:20pm
Andrius227 10 Jul @ 12:51am 
Yeah, just get a replacement fan. You can find the exact model on your fans. Then you type it into ebay or something and you will probably find it.
Last edited by Andrius227; 10 Jul @ 12:52am
Talby 10 Jul @ 1:37am 
A dual slot fan comes in handy and cheap for $15

Wathai Graphic Card Pcl Slot Fan 2 x 90mm 92mm for CPU GPU Cooler VGA Cooling https://a.co/d/0huzeYoh
ok.... cooling keeps things going...
overheating means hard crash from my experience
and can lead to permanent damage or damage something else.. ....

most fans are a connected via a plug....

youtube should have your model or atleast something like fan replacement...

this is what i found... 4 minute mark should give you the info you need
for replacement... just so you know whats involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6d_rx5DZdE
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 7 Jul @ 8:14am