How good are TV's for gaming these days?
31.5 inch 2K 165HZ VA, 42.5 inch 4K 60HZ IPS monitor or a 55 inch 4k 120HZ QLED TV. I would pair it with 4070Ti Super.

Currently I use a 27 inch 75HZ monitor from LG and movies feel laggy.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
why you go do 4k on 4070TiS thats made for 1440p?
it likely can get 78 fps on 4k.. thats above the 60fps minimum for playable.. but will it truelly be better than 100fps 1440p?

but why go tv? you can go full monitor

all the below have 4k, 16:9, freesync, <0.5ms responcetime and are 42 inch in size :

Iiyama G-Master G4380UHSU-B1 (600 euro) VA
Philips Evnia 42M2N8900/00 (1100 euro) OLED

all the below have 4k, 16:9, freesync, Gsync, <0.1ms responcetime and are 44 inch in size :

LG UltraGear 48GQ900 (1450 euro) OLED
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ (1600 euro) OLED

if you want larger.. it is no longer for sale officially but perhaps on ebay/2d hand?
it is 55 inch, 0.5ms, but has an even better quality screen and ofcourse Gsync and Freesync and all the rest.

Alienware AW5520QF (used to be 5500 euro) OLED -> look 2d hand for it or on ebay.

I'd say these are the right monitors to go 4k.. and well they likely are large enough to qualify as tv too even though they aint a tv.. so you likely will need a seperate decorder as they won't have one build in.
Last edited by Dutchgamer1982; 6 Jul @ 10:57am
run a TV, if for watching or for playing and pay your electricity bill x1000

i dont own a TV, i watch stuff, LESS STUFF, through my laptop . . .

my monthly e-bill is below 35 EUR, fridge, freezer, stove, microwave, coffee machine, dish washer, washing machine, dryer, included . . . others who live like me but own a TV easily pay 90 EUR / month and wonder how my e-bill can be that low by same host. well, i dont own a TV !!

if you dont care about all of this, well, you are already on a right direction being QLED oriented and other similar IPS tech.

simply stay far away from OLED as this stuff burns-in quickly and not to mention your electricity bill increase . . . and you can trash that "throwaway hardware" in 5 years . . .

in your current case, it should be ::

27" native 1440p
< 1 ms
min 120 Hz, 144 Hz better, 165 Hz is badly/oddly buffed, 240 Hz godlike
flat, IPS
100% DCI-P3
500 cd/m²

what the heck is a 27" screen @ 75 Hz . . . very odd as 165 Hz is . . .
use correct numbers . . .
Last edited by N3tRunn3r; 6 Jul @ 11:42am
Ralf 6 Jul @ 11:45am 
Originally posted by Dutchgamer1982:
Because I can't find 2k monitors over 32 inch and even if I could 2k would look terrible on 55 inch.

Alienware AW5520QF (used to be 5500 euro) OLED -> look 2d hand for it or on ebay.
I can get a 55 inch TV for 500 euro, if I would have 1000 or let alone 5500 euro for a monitor, I would for sure get a 4090 instead of a 4070TiS. But I don't want to waste so much money.

Originally posted by N3tRunn3r:

simply stay far away from OLED as this stuff burns-in quickly and not to mention your electricity bill increase . . . and you can trash that "throwaway hardware" in 5 years . . .
But isnt Qled the best thing ever?

27" native 1440p
< 1 ms
flat, IPS
100% DCI-P3
500 cd/m²
27 is too small for me, I want bigger

27 inch 1080p 75Hz, correct numbers
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27MP59G-P-gaming-monitor
Last edited by Ralf; 6 Jul @ 11:51am
Rod 6 Jul @ 12:25pm 
Originally posted by Ralf:
Because I can't find 2k monitors over 32 inch and even if I could 2k would look terrible on 55 inch.

I can get a 55 inch TV for 500 euro, if I would have 1000 or let alone 5500 euro for a monitor, I would for sure get a 4090 instead of a 4070TiS. But I don't want to waste so much money.

But isnt Qled the best thing ever?

27" native 1440p
< 1 ms
flat, IPS
100% DCI-P3
500 cd/m²
27 is too small for me, I want bigger

27 inch 1080p 75Hz, correct numbers
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27MP59G-P-gaming-monitor

Oleds out of the league of any other type of tv the burn in is how he copes not owning ones he tells himself hes better off lol. Qled is junk and lcd. They are all junk tn,ips,va,qled,mini led all trash.

Micro led or oled and micoled is future tech. Tldr buy the oled tv or qd oled. oled and qd oled are two types of oled.
C1REX 6 Jul @ 12:44pm 
31.5 inch 2K 165HZ VA, 42.5 inch 4K 60HZ IPS monitor or a 55 inch 4k 120HZ QLED TV. I would pair it with 4070Ti Super.

Currently I use a 27 inch 75HZ monitor from LG and movies feel laggy.

I personally love it. My wife also loves it and can’t work on a smaller screen any more. She has a 27inch monitor but she hates using it since she tried mine 50inch QLED.

You may feel wierd for a day or two but after that it’s such a pleasure to work on it, play games or watch movies/YouTube. I don’t use my 27’ monitor any more.

One downside- manually switching it on and off.
I get your budget but I would simply advise against gaming on tv ever.
the price difference for the size also translates in all kind of features tv's don't have.
just "boy what is it big" does NOT equal quality.

well now

I don't share the above's posters paranoia with oled
Oled are the best quality screen you can have.. (but pricy)
basicly it is
TN < VA < IPS < OLED

a bit more detailed :

moving up from TN to VA.. you will notice better contrast (VA has the deepest black to colour contrast)

moving up from VA to ips, you loose some contrast but your colours get pictureperfect.
(IPS has the most "true" colours aka if you make a photo and display it on an ips screen it is the only screen that displays that photo at EXACTLY the same colour as the original if held beside it)

moving up to OLED, you get optimal saturation.. while OLED has slightly less pictureperfect colours than IPS (but better than VA and TN).. it has a contrast thats in between VA and IPS.. so it middles the strenghts of both... but on top of that OLED by far has the highest SATURATION of colours... the colours just "pop" which for games and movies adds to the experience.

ofcourse CHEAPER panels in each of these types come with downsides... cheap IPS panels tend to have crappy responcetimes leading to visible tearing in games..
cheap OLED screens often are capped at just 60fps, and have much worse contrast (basicly the black never getting true black)
and cheap VA screens.. have very high colour distortion and will have more desyncing.. causing another form of crappy tearing

tv is ALWAYS at the same 60fps.. so the demand on their screens are much lower.. so it matters less they are crappier.. thats why tv are cheaper than pc monitor.
ofcourse there are tv's in all quality and priceranges just as with pc... and that may offset some of that but with the size and budget you look at.. you aint looking at "the best tv's out there"

I get your desire for larger....

and well 27 inch is for 1440p the sweetspot.. while 40-44 inch is the sweetspot for 4k.
both those have the same ideal 1400-1600 pixels per cm2
so if you want large you indeed want 4k...

given your buget restriction.. I would advise the

thats a good panel.. it may be only 42 inch.. but it is much better than those large tv to game on.
and well yeah it aint oled.. but well it's either go smaller... or go VA at such a restricted budget.
Last edited by Dutchgamer1982; 6 Jul @ 12:50pm
_I_ 6 Jul @ 1:16pm 
tvs are better than they used to be

most have a game/pc mode to remove almost all input delays

30in is way too small for a 4k display
its the same ppi/dpi as 15in 1080 laptop, but viewed at arms length not 1-2ft away

get a 1440p monitor instead
Last edited by _I_; 6 Jul @ 1:16pm
I looked btw.. and when I look at tv..
with 1 ms responcetime or less

and than I have not even selected ANY other option like freesync or gsync.... which you very very much want...
than the cheapest TV option IS already 900 euro. and also just 42 inch.

if you select only gsync or freesync and non of the other things you really do want in a good screen (like that low responcetime) again 900 euro minimum..

the ONLY way you going to get 55 inch at 500 euro.,. is bby having a really crappy screen that has NO sync and terrible responcetime.
Originally posted by _I_:
tvs are better than they used to be

most have a game/pc mode to remove almost all input delays

30in is way too small for a 4k display
its the same ppi/dpi as 15in 1080 laptop, but viewed at arms length not 1-2ft away

get a 1440p monitor instead

oh you can get tv's that have the features you desire yes..
but not at 500 euro for a 55 inch.. those are the crappy tv's without sync, with terrible responcetimes.. aka totally unsuited for gaming.

I mean if you only pick the bare miniimum.... and still want that 55 inch..
LG B2 55"
something like that.. and that will cost 900 euro.
Last edited by Dutchgamer1982; 6 Jul @ 1:23pm
C1REX 6 Jul @ 1:20pm 
I assume most people who hate on TVs haven’t tried them.

I recommend to have some fun one weekend, order a high end Samsung or LG gaming QLED and test yourself. If you don’t like it after a week then simply return it to amazon or whatever shop with good return policy.
C1REX 6 Jul @ 1:31pm 
with 1 ms responcetime

1ms response time is marketing mambo jambo. All monitors state 0.1 - 1ms reaponse time when in reality it’s about the same as a good gaming TV.

Here is an example of a good and popular gaming monitor. Standard, advertised 1ms response time.
Real response time after measurement? 6ms what is still fast. Similar to my samsung qn90.

https://youtu.be/cXgvP84g2BU?si=s3ZzcCRv_jDQkQYW

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/motion-blur-and-response-time
I'm looking to score a 4K TV with QLED + Freesync 120/144Hz with VRR which I'd seen from a little known TV maker to US and Europe perhaps, but pretty established here in Asia. I don't care for OLED and such, perhaps by the time I get my apartment, cost and the issue with OLED might have gone down, but we'll see...
Ralf 7 Jul @ 1:29am 
with 1 ms responcetime or less

and than I have not even selected ANY other option like freesync or gsync.... which you very very much want...
than the cheapest TV option IS already 900 euro. and also just 42 inch.

if you select only gsync or freesync and non of the other things you really do want in a good screen (like that low responcetime) again 900 euro minimum..

the ONLY way you going to get 55 inch at 500 euro.,. is bby having a really crappy screen that has NO sync and terrible responcetime.
Tcl 55c745 goes for 500 euro here and supports HDMI 2.1 VRR(48-144Hz) that works with nvidia cards too and FreeSync Premium Pro
Tcl 55c745 goes for 500 euro here and supports HDMI 2.1 VRR(48-144Hz) that works with nvidia cards too and FreeSync Premium Pro

looks good !

https://www.tcl.com/global/en/tvs/c745

However, its[tclo365.sharepoint.com] "Energy efficiency class" is "G" ... your electricity bill would increase heavily as G is the very least !!

Screens and TVs should be at Energy efficiency class "E" or better.
Last edited by N3tRunn3r; 7 Jul @ 1:46am
Ralf 7 Jul @ 5:54am 

looks good !

https://www.tcl.com/global/en/tvs/c745

However, its[tclo365.sharepoint.com] "Energy efficiency class" is "G" ... your electricity bill would increase heavily as G is the very least !!

Screens and TVs should be at Energy efficiency class "E" or better.
That's like 66 kWh/month if I run HDR which is 6 euro, my current multi monitor setup eats almost as much.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 6 Jul @ 10:34am