More information about Trade Restrictions
Hello!
I changed my name recently and got a trade restriction.
I know that this is a thing that happens now, but it is not addressed anywhere in the FAQ or are you given any awareness of why you are not able to trade.
It just shows up as an error message with a number.
I think that it would cause less panic if it was more informative on why you have a restriction in the first place.
As well as having a confirm window that pops-up when you change your name that your access to trading will be restricted.

It would also be nice to have like a pop-up warning somewhere and maybe some sort of timer to when that restriction will be lifted. but, I understand that might be asking a bit too much. Trading is a very cool part of Steam but in recent years it has sort of felt like an afterthought when it comes to informing the people who participate in trading on the rules and regulations. Leading to people getting into trouble when they don't really deserve it.

I don't care about all of the new rules added surrounding trading because it does help a lot more people keep their inventories safe. But, I do find it annoying that sometimes there are just straight up hidden rules that make trading more frustrating than it already is with the current set up.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Originally posted by Booty Butt Incorporated :3:
More information about Trade Restrictions

Hello!
I changed my name recently and got a trade restriction.
I know that this is a thing that happens now, but it is not addressed anywhere in the FAQ or are you given any awareness of why you are not able to trade.
It just shows up as an error message with a number.
I think that it would cause less panic if it was more informative on why you have a restriction in the first place.
As well as having a confirm window that pops-up when you change your name that your access to trading will be restricted.

It would also be nice to have like a pop-up warning somewhere and maybe some sort of timer to when that restriction will be lifted. but, I understand that might be asking a bit too much. Trading is a very cool part of Steam but in recent years it has sort of felt like an afterthought when it comes to informing the people who participate in trading on the rules and regulations. Leading to people getting into trouble when they don't really deserve it.

I don't care about all of the new rules added surrounding trading because it does help a lot more people keep their inventories safe. But, I do find it annoying that sometimes there are just straight up hidden rules that make trading more frustrating than it already is with the current set up.

We all found out the hard way...

https://gtm.you1.cn/discussions/forum/1/4202490424033360096/

Hidden cooldowns aren't something they ever tell us about. The same went for the friend invite cooldown.

:cool_seagull:
[?]legit 16 Jul @ 7:20am 
I'm feeling pretty dumb as I did the same and can't trade now. :facepalm:

This restriction should not exist.
Originally posted by ?legit:

FALSE. The restriction should definitely exist as its one of the best ways to combat fraud. I do agree with the OP that better documentation of the restriction on the other hand would be nice such as a pop up like he suggested warning you.
Originally posted by Brian9824:
Originally posted by ?legit:

FALSE. The restriction should definitely exist as its one of the best ways to combat fraud. I do agree with the OP that better documentation of the restriction on the other hand would be nice such as a pop up like he suggested warning you.

Yeah like
It's not that I don't want the restriction to exist
It makes complete sense considering the amount of scams and the type of scams that took place before mobile authentication was introduced

But, the way it currently works doesn't make it seem like you broke a rule and have to wait a bit. It makes it feel like trade servers are just down. Which is a bad look for those who enjoy it considering that Valve has done nothing but make trading less and less accessible with every update to their platform and games.

Scammers have probably known about this restriction since the day it was added. Something like this doesn't need to be a secret. All that keeping it a secret does is make kids freak out when they can't trade and adults angry because they were expected to keep track of a secret rule that isn't posted anywhere in their already busy lives
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 15 Jul @ 8:01pm