P4Novy 14 Jul @ 7:23pm
Let us TRULY Block Users
I thought it would be pointless to make another topic about this terrible "block system" issue so I had bumped a topic from past year that matched my own issues instead, but the topic was just locked, which doesn't make sense, since it was NEVER SOLVED.
So here it goes another topic compaining about how "blocking" is useless, "wheeee". Well, all it does is to hide comments from the users I "blocked" but letting have the option to show their posts and does not hide any mentions other users make of their posts, yet the user "blocked" suffers no restrictions at all, except to send direct messages to me, which is lame. The user I blocked should not see my posts, nor access any topic I create much less see any mentions other users make from my posts.
If I block someone, I want zero contact with that person and definitely demand reciprocity. I don't see nor interact with that person and that blocked person is UNable to see and interact with me, period.
The last comment from the old post I commented before it was locked claimed Steam would be outsourcing moderators but I don't see any difference for the better, and they wouldn't be so "needed" if people had been able to ACTUALLY block other people, which would definitely decrease the toxicity in any Steam Forums.
Solve this issue once for all, VALVE Software peopleeeee!
Last edited by P4Novy; 15 Jul @ 2:59am
Originally posted by Ionut Catalin Frasineanu:
In my opinion, blocked users should no longer be able to post or read your posts (posts created by you, not those created by other users or those you both post in) and should not be able to enter the game rooms they you create (Left 4 Dead 2 as an example)! Since it's blocked on Steam, this should be seen both on the forums and in online games! Why am I posting this? I blocked a user on Steam the other day for using offensive words during a campaign in Left 4 Dead. He was kicked out of the session immediately but to no avail! The outcome? He followed me into a few rooms where I decided to enter on expert difficulty and ended up getting shot on purpose out of a desire to get revenge on me!!! Reporting was useless, blocking as well...I'm not the only one who encounters these unpleasant situations...That's why I think I need much more severe measures when it comes to blocking someone!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 199 comments
As I keep saying, if your goal is to reduce harassment and toxicity vectors, it will inevitably lead you to implementing something like this. Countless sites use this 2-way block paradigm precisely because of this. People who oppose this often assume they can put arbitrary brakes on reducing harassment vectors but these random "Wait, this far and no farther" limits are meaningless and just built off their own preferences. It's like the man who curses the police every day suddenly calling them and expecting immediate response when an unruly gentleman is breaking down his door.

I would prefer it not be done but I've been on so many sites that implement this paradigm that it wouldn't bother me very much at all if done here.

Practically speaking though, Valve time means that updates to this forum happen in literally 12 year quanta at a minimum, so you're going to be waiting a VERY long time even if they wish to do this. The current forum paradigm clearly offers no way to implement this cleanly.
Last edited by William Shakesman; 14 Jul @ 7:33pm
Originally posted by P4Novy:
Well, all it does is to hide comments from the users I "blocked" but letting have the option to show their posts and does not hide any mentions other users make of their posts, yet the user "blocked" suffers no restrictions at all

That is how the blocking is intended to work on the forum. you aren't a moderator so other than hiding what you see you have no control over if someone can post.
I thought it would be pointless to make another topic about this terrible "block system" issue so I had bumped a topic from past year that matched my own issues instead, but the topic was just locked, which doesn't make sense, since it was NEVER SOLVED.
So here it goes another topic compaining about how "blocking" is useless, "wheeee". Well, all it does is to hide comments from the users I "blocked" but letting have the option to show their posts and does not hide any mentions other users make of their posts, yet the user "blocked" suffers no restrictions at all, except to send direct messages to me, which is lame. The user I blocked should not see my posts, nor access any topic I create much less see any mentions other users make from my posts.
If I block someone, I want zero contact with that person and definitely demand reciprocity. I don't see nor interact with that person and that blocked person is UNable to see and interact with me, period.
The last comment from the old post I commented before it was locked claimed Steam would be outsourcing moderators but I don't see any difference for the better, and they wouldn't be so "needed" if people had been able to ACTUALLY block other people, which would definitely decrease the toxicity in any Steam Forums.
Solve this issue once for all, STEAM peopleeeee!

Maybe you should go back and READ all those threads. Its really well explained why this is never going to happen by many people, including The Living Tribunal.

Originally posted by The Living Tribunal:
Well, all it does is to hide comments from the users I "blocked" but letting have the option to show their posts and does not hide any mentions other users make of their posts, yet the user "blocked" suffers no restrictions at all

That is how the blocking is intended to work on the forum. you aren't a moderator so other than hiding what you see you have no control over if someone can post.

^^^ This has been posted in many of those threads already, which OP, you could have read already. ^^^
This is a forum and most forums have the same principle that blocks only prevent profile-to-profile communication aka direct messaging.

This isn't personal pages or group pages, so it makes no logical sense to treat it like a social media site where it's personal pages or groups. You also have the ability to make a group in Steam itself.
There isn't a problem to be solved.
Originally posted by Gwarsbane:

Maybe you should go back and READ all those threads. Its really well explained why this is never going to happen by many people, including The Living Tribunal.

^^^ This has been posted in many of those threads already, which OP, you could have read already. ^^^
One would do well to remember that nobody making the arguments that it will never happen is a Valve employee and these same people had said that family share, and then the recent updates to family share, both would never happen. (Not even counting how well over 3/4ths of those threads were not arguing about why it couldn't happen but why the user would prefer it not to happen, some even had the self-awareness to understand those are different things.) There simply is very little value in reading the old threads.

That said, given how Valve Time works, "never" is still a safe bet by default as should this ever be implemented, the time in which it occurs will be well after you forgot ever making this thread.
Last edited by William Shakesman; 14 Jul @ 9:20pm
P4Novy 14 Jul @ 9:32pm 

Thanks for explaining what I already know. I also made very clear blocking is ineffective here and should improve massively.
P4Novy 14 Jul @ 9:36pm 
Originally posted by Mad Scientist:
This is a forum and most forums have the same principle that blocks only prevent profile-to-profile communication aka direct messaging.

This isn't personal pages or group pages, so it makes no logical sense to treat it like a social media site where it's personal pages or groups. You also have the ability to make a group in Steam itself.
You are just making excuses to reject being blocked, even though you should accept someone should have the right to reject your visibility.
Your statement is convenient to do more engagements for Valve, though, meaning more Steam Points spent, more money for Valve.
KalCuey 14 Jul @ 9:37pm 

Thanks for explaining what I already know. I also made very clear blocking is ineffective here and should improve massively.

the only thing i think that is needed is to block the quotes of someone that is blocked

other than that, there is nothing else that really needs to be done

do not read the posts from people you block

stop worrying about what they are doing, as you are ignoring them

besides, there is no way to completely stop anyone from seeing your posts

all "i" would have to do is open a browser and i could see everything

i can copy paste anything you hid and make my own thread with it

were i so inclined
P4Novy 14 Jul @ 10:03pm 
Perhaps you people who oppose to be Blocked are deep down just Terrified of opening the Steam Forums someday and read everywhere: "Topic is unavailable to you" and "Post is unavailable to you", then you will feel very lonely because you will realize no one wants to talk to you. So you cannot live with that scenario, as you will have to accept your fault. 😐
rawWwRrr 14 Jul @ 10:11pm 
Perhaps you people who oppose to be Blocked are deep down just Terrified of opening the Steam Forums someday and read everywhere: "Topic is unavailable to you" and "Post is unavailable to you", then you will feel very lonely because you will realize no one wants to talk to you. So you cannot live with that scenario, as you will have to accept your fault. 😐
I think it's more about keeping the idea of blocking users in perspective. The forums are not your social media feed. Forums are meant to be open to all for discussion. That doesn't mean you have to read everything from everyone. That's why the block function works on Steam, so you can curate who you want to see, not dictate what others can see.

Blocked users should not be able to comment on any of your UGC, or profiles, etc., but they should still be able to view it if you keep the visibility on Public.

I do agree with you that it needs a refinement. If I have a user blocked, I shouldn't be able to see their quoted text in someone else's reply. That might require a bit more complication to the forums as a whole, so it's probably why we haven't seen this in action.
Gwarsbane 14 Jul @ 10:29pm 

Just ignore the fact you can load up Steam forums on incognito/private mode or ANY browser without being logged in and see what the posts are....

/me watches as goalpost gets moved with a suggestion of no one can see the forums while not logged in...

Also just ignore the fact you can load up Steam forums on incognito/private mode or ANY browser logged in under a different account and see what the posts are....

So how will you move that goalpost?

Accounts are free to make. You have no idea who is looking at the posts so no way to block accounts you don't even know exist. I could have 1000 accounts just sitting here for all you know, just need 1 logged in with another browser (which there are many free ones out there) and just read. Or heck reply under that one... what are you going to do, block all 1000 accounts

Takes seconds to spin up a new account on Steam, don't even have to buy anything. Heck, you're just going to end up seeing a blank forum if you decide to block everyone that tells you stuff you don't like even when that stuff is 100% correct.

This is why we are telling you why your idea is a bad idea... because there is no actual way to block people the way you want them to be blocked. If they want to see whats being posted they will see it. They might have to jump though an extra hoop or 2... but if they want to see it and respond, they will.

All you want is an echo chamber. If you want that, go make a group or a blog and post there where you have 100% control.
Originally posted by Mad Scientist:

You are just making excuses to reject being blocked, even though you should accept someone should have the right to reject your visibility.
Your statement is convenient to do more engagements for Valve, though, meaning more Steam Points spent, more money for Valve.
Different services function in different ways, since Forums are meant to be public discussion in a public place, "forced two way blocking" makes zero sense for a forum and would result in types of problems that aren't wanted for a forum.

You're free to make your own Group page, or utilize services like FB which has blocking function as you desire it to, but here this is a public forum for public discussion.
i want blocking someone to atleast blur out their workshop submissions if not outright remove them from my searches
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
In my opinion, blocked users should no longer be able to post or read your posts (posts created by you, not those created by other users or those you both post in) and should not be able to enter the game rooms they you create (Left 4 Dead 2 as an example)! Since it's blocked on Steam, this should be seen both on the forums and in online games! Why am I posting this? I blocked a user on Steam the other day for using offensive words during a campaign in Left 4 Dead. He was kicked out of the session immediately but to no avail! The outcome? He followed me into a few rooms where I decided to enter on expert difficulty and ended up getting shot on purpose out of a desire to get revenge on me!!! Reporting was useless, blocking as well...I'm not the only one who encounters these unpleasant situations...That's why I think I need much more severe measures when it comes to blocking someone!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 199 comments
Per page: 1530 50