PlayStation glyphs for DS4 controllers that are connected via Bluetooth
My request is similar to the suggestion described here but I am starting a new thread because that thread is 3 years old now and I am able to specify a particular scenario:

When using a DS4 controller connected to a PC via Bluetooth, Steam games appear to be unable to detect the controller type, and so they will default to Steam's defacto input type, XInput, and will use Xbox glyphs instead of PlayStation glyphs.

This is particularly frustrating for games which have support for DS4 controllers that are connected via USB, because you know for a fact that the glyph assets are definitely there - they're just not being used for what feel like arbitrary reasons (although I do understand that these things are not always as as simple as they may seem) when that same controller is connected via Bluetooth.

Given that Steam is able to display PlayStation glyphs while in Big Picture Mode, even when a DS4 controller is connected via Bluetooth, I would imagine that there must be a way for Steam to relay that information to the games that it launches. Or perhaps you could implement functionality for users to specify the default controller input type?
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Nx Machina 26 May @ 10:31pm 
Games have to natively support Playstation prompts and that support is built in by the developer of the game.

When using a DS4 it has to be connected via usb to show Playstation prompts for supported games, based on my personal experience with games such as Prey 2017. Bluetooth does not work.

Games default to Xbox prompts if the developer did not include Playstation prompts. Valve cannot override it as they do not have access to the code.

As for Big Picture it shows a picture of the controller connected, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, irrespective of whether it is connected via usb or bluetooth. In your case you chose Playstation support.
Last edited by Nx Machina; 26 May @ 10:38pm
Zefar 26 May @ 11:08pm 
Originally posted by Mahogany:
My request is similar to the suggestion described here but I am starting a new thread because that thread is 3 years old now and I am able to specify a particular scenario:

When using a DS4 controller connected to a PC via Bluetooth, Steam games appear to be unable to detect the controller type, and so they will default to Steam's defacto input type, XInput, and will use Xbox glyphs instead of PlayStation glyphs.

This is particularly frustrating for games which have support for DS4 controllers that are connected via USB, because you know for a fact that the glyph assets are definitely there - they're just not being used for what feel like arbitrary reasons (although I do understand that these things are not always as as simple as they may seem) when that same controller is connected via Bluetooth.

Given that Steam is able to display PlayStation glyphs while in Big Picture Mode, even when a DS4 controller is connected via Bluetooth, I would imagine that there must be a way for Steam to relay that information to the games that it launches. Or perhaps you could implement functionality for users to specify the default controller input type?

I have a DS4 gamepad too and there is a way you might be able to get Playstation buttons to appear.

Right click the game in Steam and disable the Steam inputs.
For some reason it seems to collide with the games support for the gamepad if it has support for it. But if you disable Steam input the game can detect the DS4 gamepad and use it's prompts.

If that doesn't work, you'll just have to ask the devs to add support for it.
Mahogany 1 Jun @ 11:20pm 
To clarify:

I am aware that games need to have support built-in by the devs, and that USB is required; Bluetooth does not work. I also aware that, for games that do have support for PS glyphs, Steam input will need to be disabled.

My pain point is this: why does Bluetooth not work?

In games that display PlayStation glyphs when my DS4 is connected via USB, why do they only display Xbox glyphs when I connect that same DS4 via Bluetooth rather than USB?

I mentioned Big Picture Mode in my original post because it seems that the Steam client is able to recognise my controller as a DS4 regardless of its connection type. Is there no way that, when launching a game via Steam, Steam could tell the game what type of controller I’m using so that it can display the appropriate glyphs (again, provided that the devs have implemented support for those glyphs)

It just doesn’t make much sense to me why the connection type is important here. I will also acknowledge again that, from my brief experience with programming, I know that there could very well be a perfectly logical reason for constraints that may appear arbitrary at first.
Originally posted by Mahogany:

Installing DS4Windows will do what you want. Make sure to look over the installation instructions carefully on its website. It was originally made for other reasons, but does in fact resolve this. This video shows how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTv-Sm04my0 (note: in the video it displays a controller connected over USB, but the important thing is that this also works when connected via Bluetooth). Make sure to install HidHide (you will prompted to when starting up DS4Windows the first time), as this will prevent the software from unintentionally creating a doubled input in Steam games.

Once you've got those installed and followed the video, prevent the doubled input by going to "settings", then making sure "Hide DS4 Controller" is checked (I know that may seem counter-intuitive). Then you'll be good to go in games that support playstation controllers natively, both wired and wirelessly. Full glyph support
Originally posted by AetherPop:
Installing DS4Windows will do what you want.

Be aware that some anti-cheats classify it as unauthorized software.

:cool_seagull:
Mailer 7 Jul @ 11:46am 
Originally posted by cSg|mc-Hotsauce:
Originally posted by AetherPop:
Installing DS4Windows will do what you want.

You mean like recent proprietary(?)COD anti-cheat software then? Because I use SCPToolkit, being the older sister software, and I have never had an issue with any anti-cheat in my time of playing.
Last edited by Mailer; 7 Jul @ 11:47am
Originally posted by Mailer:
Originally posted by cSg|mc-Hotsauce:

You mean like recent proprietary(?)COD anti-cheat software then? Because I use SCPToolkit, being the older sister software, and I have never had an issue with any anti-cheat in my time of playing.

Others. CoD doesn't care.

< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50