LuluKat 13 Mar @ 3:45am
Steam Store keeps crashing and restarting the app *only Steam Store*
Every time I try and scroll or search through the store, my steam crashes. I get less than 30 seconds into the store and my screen (minus the borders of the app and my task bar) turns grey-black two or three times then crashes and takes a few minutes to restart.

My store was completely fine yesterday, then I decided to look at the deals and specials last night which is when I would guess the crashing started. No other areas of steam is affected or causes and crashing or restarts the app, only the store. As well as that, its only the store on my PC.

My laptop and steam are both updated, I've cleared the cache, logged out and back into as well as restarted steam, and restarted my laptop.
(My laptop is a Lenovo, operating on Windows 10)

I'm not very knowledgeable about tech and my laptop is basically only used for watching stuff, playing games when I want, and and the occasional writing or Microsoft office/Google services use etc..

Can anyone tell me why this may be happening or how I can fix it because its driving me insane!

*edit*
Fixes I have done so far that haven't worked:
- Made sure the steam app and my laptop are up to date
- Restarted my laptop
-Deleted/cleared download cache from the steam settings and then deleted html/http cache while the app was closed and not running
-Run as administrator
-Reinstalled the app
-Repaired the app

-

Thank you to everyone who is helping and giving suggestions and fixes! I'm hoping to take time this weekend to look through and try them:)
Last edited by LuluKat; 15 Mar @ 2:04am
Originally posted by Pasta Viking:
Ever since the latest Steam client update, I've had this same issue. All the usual tricks to fix this did nothing (not even a full client re-install).

What did eventually end up fixing it for me was going to Settings -> Interface -> uncheck Enable GPU accelerated rendering in web views (requires restart).
< >
Showing 1-15 of 75 comments
ReBoot 13 Mar @ 3:59am 
Delete Steam's web cache and restart Steam, see if that changes the situation.
LuluKat 13 Mar @ 4:12am 
Originally posted by ReBoot:

Where would I find that? I've only been able to find the download cache which I've already deleted/cleared
ReBoot 13 Mar @ 5:01am 
Originally posted by LuluKat:

Where would I find that? I've only been able to find the download cache which I've already deleted/cleared
Steam settings
hello

While steam is not running, navigate to %appdata/local/steam and delete folder htmlcache.then launch steam.
If you still have the problem , then we will need to go further.
LuluKat 13 Mar @ 5:28am 
Originally posted by bidulless:
hello

While steam is not running, navigate to %appdata/local/steam and delete folder htmlcache.then launch steam.

Nothing came up directly as that, but I navigated to the steam folder in program files, then to appcache and deleted the httpcache folder. (I assume that may have been the same thing? Pls correct if I'm wrong though, I really don't know anything about all this!)
Upon launching steam again, though, the problem is still there
hello

Nothing came up directly as that, but I navigated to the steam folder in program files, then to appcache and deleted the httpcache folder. (I assume that may have been the same thing? Pls correct if I'm wrong though, I really don't know anything about all this!)
hello

Sorry my bad
While steam is not running navigate to
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Steam and delete forlder name htmlcache
ReBoot 13 Mar @ 5:41am 
hello

Please delete Steam's web cache from Steam's settings dialog.
LuluKat 13 Mar @ 5:59am 

hello

Sorry my bad
While steam is not running navigate to
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Steam and delete forlder name htmlcache

I have done so, thank you for the clarification:)
It unfortunately didn't work
LuluKat 13 Mar @ 6:00am 

The only cache I can find in steams settings is the download cache, no web cache. I have already cleared/deleted the download cache.
hello

There is some other caches but not linked to the store activity directly than can be cleared and i do not think deleting them will change something to the problem you have while browsing the store.
One people talked about nvidia drivers, last ready drivers caused him some issue and he solved it by using an older release.
https://gtm.you1.cn/discussions/forum/0/4286935452893987778/#c4286935937414780633
Last edited by bidulless; 13 Mar @ 6:14am

The only cache I can find in steams settings is the download cache, no web cache. I have already cleared/deleted the download cache.
hello

there is an option less "brutal" than mine under steam setup/internet browsing and hit the button "clear browsing history"
Anyway you can send a request to steam support and send them the crashdump if one has been creadted during the problem
crashdumps are located at C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\CrashDumps and files have ext .dmp and you will find some steam name like webhelper, steam, etc.
Last edited by bidulless; 13 Mar @ 6:24am
LuluKat 13 Mar @ 6:48am 

hello

there is an option less "brutal" than mine under steam setup/internet browsing and hit the button "clear browsing history"
Thank you, I will try both your suggestions later when I am back home
melennui 14 Mar @ 11:29am 
heyo! i have been having the same issue and it was driving me bonkers. clearing cache, reinstalling, all that previous stuff wasn't making any difference, but when i checked my GeForce Experience app, i have available graphics drivers update that seemed to be released right around my issue began (about a week ago)

i sat around while it downloaded, finally opened steam.. and it CRASHED AGAIN TWICE. then i let it reopen, started hovering over games even though i assumed it would crash, and.. it didn't. it finally let me scroll the shop and hover games without lag, crashing, and glitching to hell and back.

long story short. update drivers and be patient.
bidulless 14 Mar @ 11:30am 
Originally posted by melennui:
heyo! i have been having the same issue and it was driving me bonkers. clearing cache, reinstalling, all that previous stuff wasn't making any difference, but when i checked my GeForce Experience app, i have available graphics drivers update that seemed to be released right around my issue began (about a week ago)

i sat around while it downloaded, finally opened steam.. and it CRASHED AGAIN TWICE. then i let it reopen, started hovering over games even though i assumed it would crash, and.. it didn't. it finally let me scroll the shop and hover games without lag, crashing, and glitching to hell and back.

long story short. update drivers and be patient.
hello

good feedback,thanks for that.
Last edited by bidulless; 14 Mar @ 11:31am
crunchyfrog 14 Mar @ 11:45am 
If you can't find the web cache under settings, then you can always try this, as it tends to be a general fix for all sorts of Steam issues.

Go to your Steam installation folder on whatever drive you have it installed. Delete EVERYTHING EXCEPT steam.exe and your steamapps folder (because that's where your games reside).

When you've done that, run that steam.exe and it will reacquire all the files it needs.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 75 comments
Per page: 1530 50