HeGz 17 Mar, 2016 @ 6:10am
Slow Download speeds caped on 500KB/s with 100 MB/s internet
So im making another thread about this problem i saw other people have this problem too, but there is no solution to this problem. What i need to do? i tryed everything. Its like 1/20 the speed what it should be what the hell is wrong with my steam ? i tryed to download something on torrents to see what speeds do i get and they are fine 9.8 MB/s so there is no problem with torrents, so this is a steam problem not my internet providers or my Router or smth so what can i do ? reinstall windows???? this is frustrating. No changing regions is not the problem tryed like all servers i get the same speed 489-500 KB/s. Is there anybody that experienced this kind of problem and manage to find a solution ?? few months back everything was fine i did get 10 MB/s speed i downloaded games like GTA V in 25 minutes. the only thing that i did reinstaled windows maybe this is the problem some kind of Bug ??? im really in the dark here.... yeah i can live with it but when i know that i can download a huge game in minutes this is fustrating.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Charlie 17 Mar, 2016 @ 6:18am 
Are you sure you have the correct LAN/WLAN drivers for your PC?
HeGz 17 Mar, 2016 @ 6:20am 
Originally posted by GhostMotley:
Are you sure you have the correct LAN/WLAN drivers for your PC?

Yeah i reinstalled them yeasterday just to see if that is the problem didnt helped ....
Charlie 17 Mar, 2016 @ 6:22am 
Originally posted by HeGz:
Yeah i reinstalled them yeasterday just to see if that is the problem didnt helped ....
Check to make sure you don't have the download capped in the settings. Steam > Settings > Downloads > Limit Bandwidth to
Last edited by Charlie; 17 Mar, 2016 @ 6:22am
HeGz 17 Mar, 2016 @ 6:23am 
Originally posted by GhostMotley:
Check to make sure you don't have the download capped in the settings. Steam > Settings > Downloads > Limit Bandwidth to

It is set to no limit that is not the problem
HeGz 17 Mar, 2016 @ 7:19am 
Originally posted by Nele:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9498-WPDF-3220
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493

Have you followed all the tips, like checking on programs that interfere with steam, checking that there are no limits set in the client for the download rate, checking for Adware, spyware, changing launching options, checking the ports in your router for steam etc. and are you sure your ISP isn't "shaping your connection"?

Read all the tips in the links above. I hope something in there will help you.

Yes i did try all of them no help there

1. Router - Nop not the problem

2. Firewall - NO

3. Seting lounch options on TCP - NO

4. Dont have Antivirus program except the original Windows Defenders dont have

5. Ports are forworded and still no change

6. Tryed connecting internet cable directly to the computer - NO

7. Rename the ClientRegistry.blob - NO

8. Third Party Applications - NO

9. Content Servers - NO

im feeling kind lost here.....
HeGz 17 Mar, 2016 @ 11:25am 
Have you checked if your ISP is slowing you down on purpose? Some do, especially in USA. They do it only for some things, like Steam or streaming. They usually do it on times when a lot of traffic happens. Have you tried to download at unusual times? Check the internet for other people that use your ISP and maybe face the same problems?

Can you try your PC on a different connection (neighbours for example) or try a different computer on your network?

If this also doesn't reveal the problem, I am out of options, too.

I called my internet provider so the guy dosent know what is wrong with my steam he said that this is not their problem that steam caps my download speeds. I dont have other computer so i cant check if this is my computers problem or not so i dont know what to do so im out of options to the only option left is to reinstall windows.... ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ f problems always the stupid ones gets in my way..... and the ones that cant be fixed without reinstalling windows...
Longy999 17 Mar, 2016 @ 11:56am 
I was having an a similar issue several months back, out of the blue steam would either download at a few KB's a second or just not at all, in the end I followed a guide to flush the config files and its been fine since. Not sure if it'll work for you but worth a try

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638
HeGz 17 Mar, 2016 @ 12:31pm 
Originally posted by Longy9999:
I was having an a similar issue several months back, out of the blue steam would either download at a few KB's a second or just not at all, in the end I followed a guide to flush the config files and its been fine since. Not sure if it'll work for you but worth a try

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

Thanks man but it didn't helped still caped on 500 KB/s
HeGz 18 Mar, 2016 @ 4:13am 
hey guys can it be that my network driver Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller slowing down Steam download speeds?????
HeGz 18 Mar, 2016 @ 6:49am 
hey guys can it be that my network driver Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller slowing down Steam download speeds?????
Yes, that thing only causes problems, limiting bandwith is one of them.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=178064.0

Okay this sh*t is Unsolvable just gonna have to accept that there is no explanation why my steam speeds are cut down tried everything nothing helps.... i saw many other people have the same problem but none knows how to fix it .... https://gtm.you1.cn/discussions/forum/1/618459109270469074/%5D one of the other threads guy has the same problem. so thanks anyway for trying to help me.
Larry 29 Jan, 2020 @ 3:26pm 
I feel like every game has its own server stored on different locations. Thats why some games have faster download speeds and some don't. Am I right?
I'm having the same issue. Downloding Insurgency Sandstorm with 3-4 MB/s but Rainbow Six Siege with 500 KB/s.
Iceira 29 Jan, 2020 @ 3:35pm 
Originally posted by Talos.:
I feel like every game has its own server stored on different locations. Thats why some games have faster download speeds and some don't. Am I right?
I'm having the same issue. Downloding Insurgency Sandstorm with 3-4 MB/s but Rainbow Six Siege with 500 KB/s.

great necro thread you just revoke ( you dont think almost 4 years later, and user have moved on or solve it. ), i dont mind you make own post and link to it, and think you have same problem as that old necro thread.

and no you are not right, things are not split up. it has seen before then some make a bad judgement and cut fiber cable over by mistake, and server is server , files are there, problem is all traffic has to go new ways and internet cloud router adapt to new path asap. and that why so many user are effect by this, and then other backup kick in again all change so yeah the bigger the problem here more time it take to change, im sorry it require Network understanding in global scale to know this. ( its actual quite simple and sametime very complicated, problem is many dont understand so many diffrent technologic work together in this, it aient ethernet alone as many think it is. ) if you remember those magasin network for dummies and such, they are a good begining to learn and outdate now, but still same tech around the world, only diffrent is higher speed and new tech, its still build on same old rules.

you think modem is outdate its not, how will you catch other side router then fiber is down, ahh now you get it.

and you also ask about service thats server education.

that is frequent access files that has higher service window then lesser access files.

no server today will grant 100% bandwide to files almost noone ask for then other most user ask for frequent same newer files. ( some call this serv and demand ) and thats why you see so huge diffrent DL speed depend on how many user buy and new release has it they older game gets they move down the list.
Last edited by Iceira; 29 Jan, 2020 @ 4:06pm
HeGz 14 Feb, 2020 @ 7:15am 
My problem was my internet provider somehow my speeds were caped, I've changed the provider and my problems we're solved.
Iceira 14 Feb, 2020 @ 9:01am 
My problem was my internet provider somehow my speeds were caped, I've changed the provider and my problems we're solved.

gz with it anyway, but thats just side story, it was more about the 4 years later , i doubt noone will accept such slowlyness over a year. ( still think steam dont do any good in revoke necro threads then 1year has pass. but hey that imo. ) and still have no issue then people make new thread and link to old if they think they need it. ( and this sametime respect old necro as gone and can take information if needed ) someday someone will revoke threads that people is dead and cant reply. ( thats my point )
Last edited by Iceira; 14 Feb, 2020 @ 9:01am
hello squidward
it has been yet another 4 years and i must reanimate the dead.
anyway im having the same issue here too?? it maxed out at 700kb/s but its staying at 500kb/s, not the router or whatever

is there a fix yet? :steamhappy:
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50