Vinacious G 20 Nov, 2022 @ 9:36pm
When I open Steam, it updates Xbox 360 drivers, and bricks my keyboard and mouse on restart
Longest title ever goes to...

So. I've now regained access to my computer after 2 nights of tinkering, finally able to perform a System Restore and have access to my beautiful machine once more. Thank. God.

What happens is, when I let Steam connect to the internet, it auto-downloads a driver update for an Xbox 360 controller, which sure, I see that popup once every few months or so. Nbd.

Nah mate. VERY big d. And not in a fun way.

Upon reboot, my keyboard and mouse then shut down upon Windows startup/initialization, yet both will operate perfectly fine in BIOS and Recovery Environment.

I had to perform a second System Restore after letting Steam connect - this was how I found out what's causing the kb&m to fail. It's wild that the 360 driver is knocking things out driver-wise.

Basically, have any of you ran into this before? I def can't run steam without internet, I mean not all the time anyways.

I think I'm going to play games offline for a bit, then see about deleting all 360 controller drivers, running steam online, then delete the driver it creates, reboot, use controllers with Steam offline, then try again and see what happens.

Here's to hoping I don't have to perform System Restore 5 more times in the next day 🙃🙃

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this and what they did to fix it
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
tintingaroo 21 Nov, 2022 @ 4:12am 
Are you on a laptop? There was another user facing the same issue with their mouse/keyboard, and I think they'd been on a laptop.

Enabling/disabling Xbox Extended Feature Support is normally how the driver is installed/uninstalled via the Steam client, so see if toggling that helps.
Steam > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings > enable Xbox Configuration Support then you should see the option for Xbox Extended Feature Support

My thought is when you get the driver installation pop-up don't restart, uncheck Xbox Extended Feature Support and you should get the driver uninstallation pop-up, restart then (could also check that the driver has actually been removed before you restart).
Vinacious G 21 Nov, 2022 @ 11:25am 
Hey, thanks! I ended up figuring that out last night, after getting Steam online and redownload the driver, I checked Device Manager for what was just added, and saw that it was the Extended Feature driver. So I immediately deleted it, then went to controller options in Big Picture mode, found that toggle, unchecked it, and restarted. Then tried a few games after connecting online again, and had no controller issues. Thankfully I'll never need 16 (or even 3 lol) Xbox 360 or similar controllers connected at once lol

I hope this post helps someone in the future!

What's weird is I even deleted the Xbox 360 controller driver, and after restarts, even with it gonezo, all my emulators and games still work with my 8bit pro+ & 2 controllers, which is wild to me
Last edited by Vinacious G; 21 Nov, 2022 @ 11:57am
Beginner 27 May @ 6:28pm 
And sure enough I just ran into this bloody issue right now. Was trying to get the rumble feature to work on a dual sense controller and I turned the dreaded option on. I ain't got access to systeyrestore. What should be reverted via safe mode ?
You can't use system restore, from the control panel? 👀

You'll have to delete the new drivers by going to Device Manager, they're likely in bluetooth or usb peripherals

Then disable the Extended Feature option in steam big picture mode
Originally posted by Beginner:
And sure enough I just ran into this bloody issue right now. Was trying to get the rumble feature to work on a dual sense controller and I turned the dreaded option on. I ain't got access to systeyrestore. What should be reverted via safe mode ?
I was in the same condition this night, don't have access to my computer, do you have any idea to fix it?
Originally posted by Vinacious G:
Longest title ever goes to...

So. I've now regained access to my computer after 2 nights of tinkering, finally able to perform a System Restore and have access to my beautiful machine once more. Thank. God.

What happens is, when I let Steam connect to the internet, it auto-downloads a driver update for an Xbox 360 controller, which sure, I see that popup once every few months or so. Nbd.

Nah mate. VERY big d. And not in a fun way.

Upon reboot, my keyboard and mouse then shut down upon Windows startup/initialization, yet both will operate perfectly fine in BIOS and Recovery Environment.

I had to perform a second System Restore after letting Steam connect - this was how I found out what's causing the kb&m to fail. It's wild that the 360 driver is knocking things out driver-wise.

Basically, have any of you ran into this before? I def can't run steam without internet, I mean not all the time anyways.

I think I'm going to play games offline for a bit, then see about deleting all 360 controller drivers, running steam online, then delete the driver it creates, reboot, use controllers with Steam offline, then try again and see what happens.

Here's to hoping I don't have to perform System Restore 5 more times in the next day 🙃🙃

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this and what they did to fix it
how do you gain your access to your computer? I can do nothing but entering Bios.
I had to buy an old 90s era PS/2 style keyboard, that was able to still work and let me go in and save my system. No idea what to do if you're on a laptop tho
Originally posted by Vinacious G:
I had to buy an old 90s era PS/2 style keyboard, that was able to still work and let me go in and save my system. No idea what to do if you're on a laptop tho
that's also a solution. but I just got the problem fixed by entering the Windows recovery system. I rolled
to the system backup generated three days. here is the link about how to enter the recovery system without keyboard and mouse. When you enter into it, rolled back to the backup or enter into safe mode with network both work to this problem. thanks anyway for your novel solution

https://support.microsoft.com/zh-cn/windows/%E5%9C%A8-windows-%E4%B8%AD%E4%BB%A5%E5%AE%89%E5%85%A8%E6%A8%A1%E5%BC%8F%E5%90%AF%E5%8A%A8%E7%94%B5%E8%84%91-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 20 Nov, 2022 @ 9:36pm